cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Capability Added: Download Contact Lists, View Detailed Contact Upload Results

Valued Developer

API Capability Added: Download Contact Lists, View Detailed Contact Upload Results

We recently updated the Activities resource with two changes which might be of interest to you.

Contact Download

First, the API now enables the download of an Account Owner's Contact Lists. More specifically, we updated the Activities resource to provide download functionality.

Q: So what does this mean to you?

A: You can now implement new integrations, including:

• Download the set of Unsubscribed contacts and update your contact management or CRM system with this information

• Find out who signed up for your newsletter by downloading the set of contacts in one of your custom defined contact lists. Update one of your external customer contact lists with this information.

• Capture changes your contacts have made in their profiles (change in email address, street address or contact list preferences for example) by downloading the contact details of your Active contacts. Update one of your external customer contact lists with this information.

Access Details of Bulk Upload

Second, the API now provides more detailed results when contact lists are uploaded into Constant Contact.

Q: So what does this mean to you?

A: Now, if you upload a set of contacts you can retrieve and display to the user any problems which occurred in the upload. For example, your application can display any contacts which either do not have an email address or which have a malformed email address and thus failed to upload into a Constant Contact account.

Watch this space - we plan to continue to expand our API.

Tom M
Group Product Manager – Content Editing
Constant Contact
5 REPLIES 5
Participant

Email field update

You mention in the capture changes a change in email address. I thought that a user could not change their email address in their options in update profile? If we are using their email address as the way we identify clients back in our database, we need this to not change. Without some sort of key behind the scenes, this is the most obvious field.

Can you confirm if they can modify their email address? If so, how do you suggest we manage the connectivity between the two databases?

Thanks,
Sally Grantham (sally.grantham@acstechnologies.com)
Valued Developer

Changes in email address

A contact can change their email address. One possible approach to keeping the databases in sync is to store a Unique ID (from your database) for each contact in one of the Constant Contact Custom Fields and then matching on this field when downloading contacts from Constant Contact. You may also need logic for contacts who change their email addresses within your system and are later uploaded to Constant Contact.
Tom M
Group Product Manager – Content Editing
Constant Contact
Participant

following up

It seems to be increasingly import to not just keep accounts based on their email address. We are still not in favor of exposing a technical field in one of their custom fields. Have you made any progress on having an id for each contact that is available for use as part of the integration? Is that scheduled for development?

Thanks,
Sally
sally.grantham@acstechnologies.com
Occasional Participant

Hi, I want to download the

Hi,

I want to download the information of customers who changed their subscription options (using the unsubscribe link in the footer of the email) and update my database for updating information on my website.  I have a question with regards to the same.

How do I reflect the unsubscription/subscription opted by the user real time on my website or that has to be a bacthwise update (downloading the complete list of customer who changes thier subscription options).

Please let me know.

We currently do not offer a

We currently do not offer a Bulk Activity API for exporting only updated users.  What we do offer for managing subscriptions is a query option on the Contacts Collection REST API.  You can find out more information on how this works here.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact