cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any plans to add the ability to create campaigns?

Valued Developer

Any plans to add the ability to create campaigns?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there were plans in the works to allow the creation of campaigns through the API.

In my use case, I need to be able to create a contact list and a campaign and then assign the contact list to the campaign. For now I just create the contact list and then prompt my user to go manually create the campaign and assign the list. This is a manageable workaround for the time being.

The real problem I'm facing is that I need to get the results of that campaign from the Campaigns Collection. The good news is that the API supports this beautifully. The bad news is that I have no idea what the Campaign URI is because the user created it manually in CC.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth creating a set of workarounds in my software to prompt the user to manually point out the campaign they created so that I can store it. I'd rather not so if the ability to create a campaign is coming to the API soon I can wait it out.

Thanks for your help.

Doug
Tom M
Group Product Manager – Content Editing
Constant Contact
5 REPLIES 5
Valued Developer

re: Plans and workarounds

As a policy, we will not be publishing projected API release schedules. We will announce the features when they are released. In addition to highlighting new API capabilities on the Developer website home page (developer.constantcontact.com), we will try and update specific request threads, like this one, when a solution is available.

I will point out that we expect that any campaign creation APIs will be defined and released in increments - with APIs such as campaign resend coming before APIs for New Campaign Creation. I suggest that going forward with your workaround approach is a good way to get started.

Thanks,
Tom M
Group Product Manager – Content Editing
Constant Contact
Regular Participant

Ability to create a campaign from an email copy via API

We have the same problem that Doug is running into.

My team would like add one more feature added to the API that may possibly come in the future - the ability to create a campaign from a previous email. In our case we have customized a constant contact template and saved it as an email. Every time we have a campaign, we have to manually go in and create a copy of the email. On the other hand it would be nice too, if a customization of a constant contact template itself could be saved as a template and then accessed via an API.

Thanks,

Moiz Tankiwala PMP

CTCT Employee

Thank you very much for your

Thank you very much for your suggestion. At this time the REST API only supports the creation of custom HTML and XHTML email campaigns. I apologize if your current workflow of copying emails from within our system is not optimal however it does appear to be the only choice at this time. I will submit your feedback to our engineers.

Dan H

Support Engineer, Constant Contact

Regular Participant

A follow up question on our requirement

Hi Dan,

I have a followup question posted at http://developer.constantcontact.com/node/789 based on the requirement that I mentioned above. I do understand the limitation of the current API implementation and was wondering if there was ateast a way to set the campaign schedule via the update API that we can call after we have created the email copy in the draft status via the contant contact website.

Thanks in advance,

Moiz Tankiwala PMP

CTCT Employee

RE: A follow up question on our requirement

Unfortunately there is currently no way to modify the schedule settings using the API. Currently the API only allows the insertion and modification of a fixed set of options and schedule details are not included.

Dan H

Support Engineer, Constant Contact