Participant
stickey

JSON or Serialized PHP for data tranmission

I've been browsing the API docs and the downloads and have not seen any mention of being able to talk to the API with JSON or serialized PHP as opposed to XML.  Is this an option?  Sending and/or receiving JSON or serialized PHP?  XML always seems a bit heavy for tasks like this.

CTCT Employee
bsoder

different methods of communicating with API

Hello,

At this time the only option to pass information to our API server is through XML. The exception to this is the Bulk Activities, where you pass URL encoded strings. I will, however, pass this request over to our engineers, so that they know that there is a desire to have this in our system.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Participant
stickey

I appreciate that.  JSON is

I appreciate that.  JSON is much easier to deal with than XML - serialized PHP even more so if your environment is PHP.  Some of your competitors offer this as a solution and it makes integration easier and hence cheaper (time and money).

DaveBerard
Topics: 7
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 61

I wanted to mention that JSON

I wanted to mention that JSON is on our road map as an enhancement to our API that we're looking to add in the future.  It's not a short term enhancement, but definitely something we're investigating and keeping in mind as we build out.  You'd notice in our Event Management API, we have the accept header implemented to specify return content type.  This is our first step towards allowing different content types to be returned in the future. 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
TarwinS

Re: JSON or Serialized PHP for data tranmission

Is there any update on the JSON API ? It seems as if it's been in the works for a LONG time now ?

Thanks!

DaveBerard

Unfortunately no immediate update.  We are working on adding JSON support but it will not be in the first half of this year.  At this point, we are working on updates to our entire API platform both from a feature and usability perspective.  These updates will include JSON support for the API.  Until this project is complete though, there will not be JSON support. 

Dave Berard
Visitor
SeanG383

Coming up on the end of the year now... any chance this is in sight?

DaveBerard

We are working currently on the next version of ur API, which will be fully JSON.  I can't comment on the timeline as we are building a completely new version of the API, including all resources around that such as wrapper libraries and documentation.  We have a beta available for many of the endpoints if you'd like to get early access and give feedback.  If you're interested, just email apibeta@constantcontact.com and we can get you access. 

Dave Berard
Frequent Visitor
UriR

Hi,

Is there any estimated timeline for full JSON support version?

Thanks,

URi R.

DaveBerard

Hi Uri,

We are in the final stages of our V2 API development now and are hopeful to have it released to developers very soon.  Thanks for the continued interest in JSON support.

Dave Berard