We are working with a ad partner who we will be featuring in our newsletter. The are asking us for API call tags/ Placeholder tags for the email address I believe. How do I get these or where would I find them. Specifically, they want this ad, when it is clicked, to go to another page (thier sign up page) and add in the email address of the person who clicked. Kind of like an autofill function. But they only need the email to fill in.
Obviously I am not a developer and would appreciate any help (hopefully dumbed down) for me.
I would like to help you with your questions but I do need to clarify what you are asking because I may not be clear. You would like it so that when a customer clicks on a specific link in your newsletter, for it to bring over additional information about the person who clicked on the link (in this case, the email address)?
If this is what you are looking for, it is possible to create a dynamic link in the email, if you are using our editor or XHTML emails. This would allow you to pass this information over through the URL. There would have to be a mechnanism set up on receiving side of the link you are linking to, to do something with the email address that you are passing through the URL.
If you would like more information on inserting the contacts email address into the URL by way of a dynamic link, you can check out this FAQ.
If you have any questions please let me know.
Yes this is exactly what I need it to do.
There would have to be a mechnanism set up on receiving side of the link you are linking to, to do something with the email address that you are passing through the URL. - I assume that this is something that they are going to set up. Again, they are just looking for what he called the API call tags.
I went to the link you gave and we use custom XHTML templates, so it looks like we will be able to generate an dynamick link. So is that what would be considered a "API Call Tag"
If you could let me know as it says that I should (Dynamic links will work in a custom XHTML template. Contact support for more information.)
If you are doing the email in a custom XHTML email the link would be different. You would need to put the entire links HTML into multiple custom field areas for every contact. So for instance, if the dynamic link you are trying to do is: "http://firstname.lastname@example.org", then you would want to have every contact have 2 custom field forms that would look like this:
Custom Field 1: <a href="www.test.com/test.php?
Custom Field 2: ">test link</a>
Then in the email you would use our property tags to link in the contacts information: <Property name="Subscriber.CustomText1"/><Property name="Subscriber.Email"/><Property name="Subscriber.CustomText2"/>
This will put the link in each customers account as long as it was set up properly.
If you have any questions about this please let me know.
I have run into this same problem and have tried the fix as suggested above but have run into a problem.
I've exported my contacts list with the idea to re-import with the adjustments, so custom feild 7 has the following
custom feild 8
custom feild 9
custom feild 10
and custom feild 1 has an ID, say 123456
So the whole url should be
Problems is when I try to import this the import tool drops the custom feild containing the below???
So when updating the contacts, including the email column which you have to add, it recognises you have 5 columns still but the one above is simply missing, so it shunts all the columns down one and the last column is blank (when it comes to assigning the column headers) - very odd?
This looks like our cross site scripting filters are keying that as a potentially malicious import and it isn't making it through those filters. I would recomend removing the / at the end and trying again.
Thanks for the reply.
I just tried that and moved the / to /advertisers/ to keep the url intact, but it still misses it out?
I'm using a Mac, and Microsoft Excel: Mac 2011 - the data looks perfect in there but decided to look at it in a plain text and for some strange reason there seems to be loads of speach marks added to the data:
"<a href=""https://www.thingstodonearyou.co.uk",/advertiser/,listing_edit_stats.asp?listingID=,""">this link</a>"
I even tried doing this by saving the file as a .xlsx instead of a .csv and the results after updating where even worse, only the email address and the column for 'this link' where recognised.
I'm going to try this on my PC and see if there is any difference and shall report back.
When saving your CSV, there should be an option to make it for windows. The mac version has caused issues for me as well in the past. If that does not work send the CSV to email@example.com.
Just emailed you a .xlsx and .csv version - had tried it as a MS-DOS format previously with no luck, as did converting it to windows format.
Yes I did it worked a charm!
For anyone experiencing the same problem - putting the headers within the top of the spreadsheet and / or condensing the text in the custom feilds should do the trick.
I previuosly had not put the headers in due to the update tool giving the option to ask you (putting the column headers in skips this part).