cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Some customers are seeing intermittent errors when attempting to upload a new image or insert an image into their email. While we look into getting this fixed we have found if you try to reattempt your previous action, the image will be visible. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Timing out too soon

Timing out too soon

I leave Constant Contact up all day, which makes it easier to work on my newsletter. But I find CC times out too soon, which is really frustrating. Is there a setting I can use so CC doesn't time out so quickly?
82 Comments
Occasional Visitor
I was typing - actually typing and it not only cut me off - asked for less than a second if I was still working and then shut down with some stupid ad from contact contact!!! There was nothing for me to click on to get in contact for support so this is my only option. I am NOT happy. NOW I have to retype at least half a page of text. I am really irritated. You are supposed to be supporting my time efficiency - not cutting me off!
Status changed to: Open Questions

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear this happening-- it should not be popping up while your working! Can you help with some details?

- What screen are you on when this happens?

- What action are you taking in the account when this happens?

- What browsers are you working in?

Thanks!

Visitor
For some reason, CC no longer allows me to copy text from word and past to my template. In turn, 2/3rds of the way through retyping a critical document, a CC pop up asked if I was still working. When I clicked yes, the screen reverted to the template page and my work was lost. Good bye Constant Contact. An ink well and seagull feather makes better use of my time...Useless.
I've lost count of how many times your automatic logout feature has abruptly interrupted what I was doing, then mistook a keyboard entry I was making at that exact moment to mean that I wanted to logout. I have lost hours of work as I was finishing up a long section of an email, only to lose it when I was logged out in a split second. FIX THIS LOGOUT PROBLEM OR I'LL MOVE TO ANOTHER EMAIL SERVICE!!!
Frequent Visitor

I have this too!   It has done this twice this evening.   The first time I know I pressed 'no I'm still working" and it cut me off immediately, the last 5 mins was lost.   The second time, I was wondering what to do for a couple of seconds and without any response from me, it cut me off immediately even through the message said 14 seconds or minutes, I couldn't remember.

Sooo frustrating!  

I want to stop the messag from coming up or extend the time out.

Help!

Nicola 

Frequent Visitor

Me too.

This is obviously a problem, there are numerous people affected by it.   

Your responses are doing nothing to help this.

Nicola 

Regular Visitor

The log-me-out function has become way too aggressive. The last two days, I have been actively working on my newsletter when I get notices asking me if I'm still working--and saying that I'll be logged out within 15 minutes.

All Star

The new automatic security log off is unbelievably frustrating! I was working on my newsletter when it came on and I couldn't save what I was working on or click on the "I'm still working" option. All I could do was wait for it to count down and log me off. This happened several times so I lost a lot of time. Is there a way around this? I tried everything I could think of to get out of that frozen zone.

I'll be in the middle of working on an email and the security logout screen will pop up. I don't know why this happens when I'm actively working on an email, and today when it happened the screen basically blacked out and I couldn't click anything. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 10.11.37 AM.png

All Star
This new feature of automatically being logged out every so often is incredibly disruptive. Several times now, in the middle of typing or editing content, I've been logged out and lost the work at hand because it wasn't saved. It should only automatically log you out if the program is IDLE, not while you are working. Please fix this.
I experienced a new wrinkle in the problem of the logout countdown timer suddenly appearing. It's been a problem for sometime now, interrupting a work session and logging me out if it appeared at the moment I was hitting the Enter key, but now the screen locks up and is slightly darkened, while being unresponsive to any keystrokes on either of the buttons displayed on the logout countdown time. In one case, when I was reviewing the Preview of the email the screen darkened down and the countdown timer didn't even appear, but since it showed similar symptoms to the earlier problem, I assume the logout timer was counting down again. Please fix this problem. Thanks.
Frequent Visitor

Hello, When editing an email campaign, I had been editing some text for about 15 minutes when the screen for a secure logout (and countdown) popped up. Since I had an element selected for editing, and it places a layer over everything to limit what you can select, it also kept me from clicking the "I'm Still Working" button, and it forced me to log out and I lost all the edits to my text. Thank you, Paul

Occasional Visitor
I was in process of working on a newsletter -- full-speed ahead -- when up pops the "Are you still working?" screen/timer -- and before I could hit the yes button, it logged me out. Fortunately I had just saved much of my newsetter or I would have lost everything. Get rid of this feature.

Completely agree. I have been logged out like that. The feature is new and it is annoying.

All Star

@SamH48 wrote:
I was in process of working on a newsletter -- full-speed ahead -- when up pops the "Are you still working?" screen/timer -- and before I could hit the yes button, it logged me out. Fortunately I had just saved much of my newsetter or I would have lost everything. Get rid of this feature.

I agree!  Not sure what motivated CC to add this 'feature' but for anyone who has done an email longer than a simple invite, this makes no sense.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happening.  I work, I save sections, I save the whole draft, and every 15 minutes the &*%*^&% stupid screen pops up. Why, oh why?

First of all id like to say that the status page is inaccurate, because I have been having issues with Constant Contact all day long.

Multiple times now, as I'm typing and making changes to my email, the window pops up and asks if I'm still working, and if not that it will log me out in 15 minutes. The first time it interrupted me, it would not allow me to click the "I'm still working" button, inevitably forcing me to close out and re-log in under a new tab. This also caused me to lose some of the changes I had made. The second time, the window would allow me to click "I'm still working" but then the screen I was already on froze and AGAIN I was forced to close out and re-log in, causing me to lose more data.

These are basic functions. I'm merely TYPING in a text box and am getting these errors. It is a HUGE inconvenience and issue for me and my company. How can I be expected to complete anything when these screens interrupt me as I am in the middle of working?

I dont know where this post is supposed to go in the forums, what section, anything... Move this discussion as necessary, whatever needs to be done. Just make this website function properly is all that I ask. Constant Contact makes it very difficult to EASILY report an issue to them. I'm not wasting 30 minutes of my life on hold on the phone to notify someone of these issues.

For three days straight, the countdown has started to sign me out while I was working on a newsletter and frozen me out of the work. I was lucky they saved but it's really bothersome that my screen goes dark and that the countdown even starts while I'm typing something.

Same as all the above. Countdown clock freezes me out of my work sometimes while I'm typing.  Incredibly frustrating!!!!

All Star

It is absolutely maddening to be logged out while in the middle of typing. This is happening multiple times a day when I'm in the middle of editing a campaign.

This is now happening in both Chrome and Firefox.

All Star

Mine is doing the same thing! Started doing this a week ago. Here is a photo. I can't click on it or anything. I have to let it run out and hope that it saves automatically before I can log back in. AWFUL!!

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 2.31.38 PM.png

Occasional Visitor

I've had the same issue as SESA above- while working it came up with an automatic logout screen and then froze so I couldn't choose "I'm still working"

All Star
Hi, For the last few weeks there has been a bug in the CC software. Whilst I am busy creating and editing a campaign, I often get a time-out message from the CC software saying that it looks like I have left, and it starts the 15 minute count down timer to log off. This should not be happening, because I am busy working, editing the campaign, and saving, then editing and saving, repeatedly. This is very annoying. And i would love to send this feedback direct to the CC developers, but I cannot find a link to do that (that is also very annoying - another company that actively discourages direct feedback). Regards Robert Brain
All Star
I was right in the middle of typing an article when the message popped up asking me if I was still working and before i could do anything it logged me off!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the same locked, grayed-out screen displayed above; first time I've had that particular manifestation of this bug. 
And while we're at it, even though adding a twist to the issue isn't exactly correct - when you click on help from a logged-in instance, it asks you to log in.  So you log in, and it takes you to your campaign home page.  So you click on the help again, and it asks you to log in again. So you log in and it takes you to your campaign home page. And. . . .

Finally got here by NOT logging in and just clicking on the "find answers in the community" link.

Gah.

All Star

I wanted to share a frustrating experience I've been having recently with Email Campaigns.  While actually typing in an email newsletter, the system sometimes gives me a message asking if I'm still working and saying it's going to log me out. It obviously can't tell I'm actually typing in that email at the moment!  Even worse, lately when it starts to time me out and do the count down of 8 minutes to log out, the screen goes mostly dark and it will not recognize if I try to click on the "I'm still working" box.  So I panic, worried that I'm going to lose my work.  I usually do end up losing something that I've just edited, but usually not too much thanks to the auto save feature.  But the frustration and down time are getting to me.  I've been using Constant Contact for a good 8 years or so now on a weekly basis and this has only started happening recently. 

CTCT Employee
Status changed to: Open Questions

Thanks for letting us know @KathyP708.

Is this something that occurs often and across all internet browsers that you use, or does it seem to only happen at specific times/in specific browsers?

All Star

Same as others.  I will be working, and for a moment I go to another application -- or sometimes even when I don't go away.  A darkened screen says, "For security, we will log you out in 14:59 seconds" etc -- but everything is greyed out and you can't click on anything.  So you have to refresh the whole window and pray you've not lost your work.  This happens at some point in EVERY editing session now.

And while I was even typing this, something jumped up and took me away to a survey.  Jeez louise, get out of my face and let me talk for a minute!

constant contact.jpg

The pop-up itself is just annoying but, since a recent edit, it actually grays out my screen. Now, I can't click 'I'm still working' (that's why I, 9 times out of 10, was actually typing in the program - but that's a totally different problem, I guess). I just have to exit and lose all my changes. 

It's really unacceptable for a service we're paying for. Just save my work and log me out if you really think someone's gonna come along and steal data from my newsletter.

CTCT Employee
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Hey Everyone,

We understand how painful this experience can be. Just wanted to let everyone know, we are currently working on resolving this and will update you soon once the fix has been released.

Regular Visitor

I've discovered that if I'm editing an article block (the pencil), and it's a long edit so that the "Are you still working?" prompt appears, the screen will become very dark and any clicks on the "Yes I'm still working" button are ignored.  This means that I cannot respond to the prompt, and I lose all of that edit and any unsaved work.  Are you aware of this situation?  Will a correction be made so that I can respond to the prompt and avoid loss of a big edit?

Frequent Visitor

I don't remember when you first made the change, but I really hate that CC now interrupts my typing/editing to warn me that I am going to be logged off soon due to "inactivity".

Not sure who came up with this idea, but I don't consider typing/editing to be "inactivity".  I understand logging someone off after a certain amount of time if they are not using the program.

I did not choose this an option, nor was I told it was going to be changed.  You really need to fix this as soon as possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This supposedly got fixed as of today (April 12, 2017)

All Star

Nothing worse that getting logged out in the middle of typing and then losing everything you just typed!

CTCT Employee

Hi @PaulU4,

Sorry to hear this. We did get alot of feedback from our customers experiencing the same issue and our developers pushed out a fix for this issue today. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this while actively working in your account.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure what time that was implemented but it happened to me again today around 9 am PDT.

All Star

It just happened again -- so I don't think your fix addressed the problem adequately.  Screenshot below. 4:35 pm EST, April 12. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 4.34.40 PM.png

Yup.  Happened to me last night as well.  Not fixed.

All Star

This just happened to me as well using Chrome on a macbook pro. First time it's happened to me but exactly this issue.

CTCT Employee

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on this. We have escalated the issue to our teams who are currently investigating. Please check back here for any further updates!

CTCT Employee
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on this. We have escalated the issue to our teams who are currently investigating. Please check back here for any further updates!

All Star

Thanks to Ariana for escalating this. And thanks to Martin for sharing that he's also having the problem, which likely helped get the attention of tech support.

To answer a previous question, I use Firefox on a PC that has Windows 10.  I have not tried it in another browser. But since Martin has, this means it is across platforms and operating systems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Supposedly fixed - but if I am away from the screen, it logs me out - and DOES NOT SAVE THE WORK I'VE DONE. Happened twice this morning already. Hours down the drain. :smileyfrustrated:

Anonymous
Not applicable

A further update.  The gray box came back along with the gray screen of death. Couldn't do anything.  So I let it log me out.  When I clicked the ok button on the "you've been logged out" screen, it logged me back in and automatically took me to the ORIGINAL version of the email - not the one with all the edits (seen in the background of the screenshot).  After throwing up my hands in disgust, I closed that and went to the campaigns, where lo and behold the one with all the edits was sitting there, saved with all the edits accurately reflected. So, well, something is still very wrong with the gray screen of death, at least in firefox.

constant contact totally gray again.JPG

Regular Visitor

It's happening to me, too.  RIGHT NOW.

Occasional Contributor

I also experience the gray screen of death until now. I've been dealing with some major issues with CC.

As if the auto log out is not enough, when I log back in, my account gets locked due to some "security issues".Then it will require a password change because it will never log in using the same password.  We've done 4 PW changes in a month just to access our account. CC said the problem comes from PW mismatch accross other apps connected to CC. Even after updating passwords in all those apps, we still encounter the same problem. It's so frustrating.

Visitor

I had just clicked save in one section and the "Log me out" "I'm still working" option came up and even though I clicked "I'm still working" it logged me out. 

But I hate that this comes up at all. Maybe come up after I've not clicked ANY edits, section saves or anything in an HOUR, but not after a few minutes. I should not have to click Whole Document Save every **bleep** time. 

Also, when I copy and paste one section to another, stop saving the background color. I just want the text, but it copies over the background color and I cannot then change the background color to match the new section. 

Thank you.

Regular Visitor
Twice in the past 24 hours as I was editing an e-mail, a gray overlay screen appeared. I could see my work through the gray screen, but could not press any buttons. I have to quit the screen and log back in and hope it doesn't happen again (AND hope that my work was saved) to continue finishing editing.
Occasional Contributor

That has happened to me as well.

I've also been working, looked away for--literally--a second, and bam, it's the "Are you still there?, 15:00 countdown" screen.

Very puzzling, and alarming when you're in the middle of editing an email.

All Star

This problem is NOT FIXED! Gray box still appears (in Chrome) in the middle of typing. I'm forced to log out and lose whatever I was typing. I get the "Are you still there?" multiple times while actively working on my email. Yes, Constant Contact I'M STILL HERE-- and getting very frustrated at having to re-do everything!