cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing out too soon

Timing out too soon

I leave Constant Contact up all day, which makes it easier to work on my newsletter. But I find CC times out too soon, which is really frustrating. Is there a setting I can use so CC doesn't time out so quickly?
82 Comments

Same gray screen issue here, using latest Chrome on a Mac. I called CC support and they admit it is a problem and they are "working on it." I wonder how many more years it will take. I'm at the point where I'm researching the cleanest way to migrate all my lists to MailChimp. I've tested MC for a while and simply don't get these types of problems.

Regular Visitor
I was working on a newsletter and a message came on the screen and asked if I was still working. I clearly was typing and saving my work so I don't understand why the message came on my screen. Also, when I said I was still there by selecting that option, I still was logged off even though I had not chosen that option and I lost some of my work. So frustrating!!
Regular Visitor

This problem has been open for four months.  It can't be a difficult issue to solve.  For example, they could change the timeout to 999 hours.  So, it's clear to me that Constant Contact does not care about this issue and the problems it's causing for us.  I will assume that no one is working on fixing the problem and it's up to me to ensure that posts are saved frequently to avoid loss of work.

Same issue. This just happened while I was actively making edits to an email. Using Chrome on a Mac OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today (5/24/17), CC would not load in Firefox.  I've seen this on other sites (the reluctance to load in Firefox).  Or maybe it's that FF is reluctant to load CC? Anyway, I switched over to Chrome, which has not been my browser of choice for CC for a number of reasons.  But since needs must, I at least had hopes that maybe by being in a different browser, I wouldn't get timed out.  Nope, here I am happily working away, saving after almost every change, and I get the gray screen of death *while I am typing in edit mode*.  Ah, another day, another gray screen of death.  

All Star

CC--you really need to fix this soon or you're going to lose us and probably a lot of other customers. I've been patient, but it's getting ridiculous that this keeps happening. Happened again to me last night.

All Star

Please fix the "log out due to inactivity" feature! While I am editing email campaigns, the log out feature continually interrupts me, even if I am literally typing inside a text box -- thereby being active, not inactive. Often the whole screen goes gray once the log out message appears, therefore I cannot dismiss the notice and continue working because the screen is locked out. Please disable the log out during email editing, or at least fix it so it doesn't try to log you out while you are actively editing & typing!

All Star

Agree. We are ready to cancel our subscription due to this! As you said, when I am actively working in my documents, the screen pops up and sometimes I cannot dismiss it/click on it, and am forced to re-fresh my browser and lose my work. 

CTCT Employee

Hi All,

I wanted to provide a quick update on this and most importantly thank you all for your feedback on the issue.

Our team's have been working dilligently to identify the root cause, and we believe a fix will be released for this in Early June. I will be sure to update this thread with more information as the release date approaches.

Thank you all for your continued patience as we work to improve your editing experience.

All Star
Twice today as I have been creating my email, the security screen has come up to ask if I am still working -- except the screen is grayed out and I can't click "Still Working" or anything for that matter. The clock is counting down, but the option buttons are not live! Which means I have had to refresh the page and lose any work I had done inside a block that was open at the time. NOT HELPFUL!
Status changed to: New

Thank you for the feedback @KimF96,

I know this is a very frustrating issue-- and I'm really sorry to hear you lost your work.  We have identified a few things that are causing this error to happen and are working to fix them.  If this problem continues to happen to you, please continue to let us know. 

Frequent Visitor
CC programming team: Your auto log-out feature has become so aggressive as to be a real productivity issue. It often blocks out a screen and counts down until log-out, but what it's blocking is an active window that is *at that moment* being legitimately edited, content added, or drafts shared. The workaround seems to be to refresh the window, taking the user to a newer version of the current document. The active version being edited will have been saved, but since the user isn't anticipating being locked out, some work can be lost up until the last save point. TL;DR: If I'm active in my draft, please stop locking me out *even as I'm working* with an inactivity timer, it's extremely frustrating.
All Star
I was in the middle of typing my newsletter and your "are you still working" popped up and was greyed out. It would not let me hit any of the options like "yes I am still working". I just lost my entire newsletter and I am NOT happy!

This is a complaint. I find working with Constant Contact painful at this time. And I'm a long time customer.

Your system prompts me many times while I'm trying to work. How come the system can't  determine that I'm working? I get 4 our 5 prompts WHILE I'm typing or editing. It's incredibly frustrating! 

And then, when I click the "I'm Still Working" button on the 4th or 5th time, the screen goes black. I have no control over the program and I must completely exit it and log back in. As if that's not pain enough, I lose my work with no warning. 

I have waited too long to write you as this has been going on for quite some time. I'm seriously thinking of going with another program as it has ruined my great experience with Constant Contact. I apologize for not speaking up sooner. 

In summary, your product prompts me many times to ask if I'm still working WHILE I'm still working, actually typing. And then finally, the program grays out with no ability to save or remedy the situation.

I sure hope you can fix this soon. 

DeborahConstantContact Black Screen.jpgScreen goes black after several prompts like this. Must exit program, restart, and log back in.

All Star

June 4th and here we go again with the timeout and no way to get back to my work without losing something.

Pleast just get rid of the timeout completely until you've got it fixed!  Or set it not to appear for a lot longer time. Enough already.

I'm also here to log my disappoint in the timeout feature. It's been month after month of the same problem, with hours of lost work. Please disable the feature until you fix it!

All Star

Yes, Constant Contact I'm still here! Sometimes it takes me hours to complete an email. I haven't gone away. I have forgotten. Sometimes I haven't even stopped typing. PLEASE DON'T LOG ME OUT! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a funny for all of us on this thread.  We also have an account with another email marketing provider - helps us keep our lists separate, and they are much cheaper (and clunkier).  Today, I walked away from working on an email on the other provider's site.  I was gone longer than I expected, and when I came back, I had been logged off - and it didn't save what I had done!!!! 
Here's another funny - last week I got a badge from this Constant Contact Community. I have earned the All Start Badge for 2010!!!  Just think how much I could have advanced my career if I had known this w-a-y back in, say, 2011 or so.  (tried to insert emoticon here from the menu above, and it didn't work)

Regular Visitor

I think this company should change their name from Constant Contact to Constant Timeout!  The issue has been open since the beginning of the year, and from the comments posted here, their customers have lost hundreds of hours of work.

Sometimes it asks if I'm still there while I'm in the middle of typing. Of course I'm there if I am typing. Also, the whole thing scrolls down to the bottom randomly. In addition, make it so you can remove some addresses while you are making a contact. If the previous contact I created had three addresses, the next contact will start off with three spaces for addresses, with no way to remove them until after I finish.
Status changed to: Open Questions

Thank you for the feedback @AdamN6996,

We are currently working to try to resolve the issue you're seeing with the 'are you still there' messaging popping up at the wrong time.  To better help us I was wondering if you could tell me how often you are seeing that message pop up?  Would you say it's coming up every 5 minutes?  Every 30 minutes?

Also if you could send me a screenshot of what you're seeing that would be really helpful!

Thanks,

Patrick

Frequent Visitor

Happening to me right now. Sooooo frustrating.  I don't know if I am going to lose my work.

I don't have time to reconstruct this important email with photos etc......praying.....

All Star

Continuously asks me if I am working and then logs me out...can we not adjust the timer to give us longer.  Also, need a page forward and backward at the top of the page within contacts.  So frustrating to need to go to the bottom of the page each time.

All Star

Editing is such hard work in your programme - when deleting within a particular category, it automatically takes you back to the beginning of the whole of your contacts.  This is very time consuming as it takes such a long time to get back to where you were working previously.

Occasional Visitor
There is a lot of irony in the name. While I love the features of CC, it is anything but constant. If I leave it for 10 minutes (ie to check emails), I need to login again ... after clicking a "yes" to Are You In Canada? Can't you keep me logged in until I log out??
All Star

When I walk away from a project and come back to the same screen, I expect to be able to continue my work. As it is, I can type in hundreds of words, work for an hour, only to find out -- ha ha - I had been automatically logged out. Puff. There goes an hour of my life. All you have to do is have a pop-up that says "You are logged out. You need to log in or you won't be able to save your work." Seems like a no brainer to me.

Occasional Contributor
Sometimes when I'm working in CC, the automatic sign-out countdown pops up. Admittedly, it happens when I've not paid attention to CC for a while and have come back to it. But nonetheless, I'm actively working in it and it threatens to sign me out! How silly!
CTCT Employee
Status changed to: Voting Open

Frequent Visitor

Please consider an option to extend log on time before timing out & logging off.

I work with multiple windows open -- so I can compare different emails & landing pages, and copy and paste between them.

Some open windows logoff. And logoff happens when I leave my computer for a little while.

I usually work for at least a couple of hours at a time, and the logging off is driving me nuts, not to mention wasting my time re-logging in.

Thanks.

This is an ongoing problem for me as well. I will be in the middle of typing something and the "Are you still working?" window pops up over what I'm doing. Please do something to keep it from timing out so quickly.

All Star

+1

Hi, Is there any way to avoid time outs... I was adding contact names when a potential customer walked into my studio... we spoke for 10-12 minutes, I returned to adding contacts and found all my contacts were lost... How can I avoid this in the future?? Thanks, Mike Zimmerman