cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Want users to have different permissions

Want users to have different permissions

Great job in enabling multiple user to access our accounts. I would like to suggest another way to improve the upcoming system.

Grant Levels of Access - As of right now anyone has an account can basically access everything.

May I suggest creating a tiered access level or something in that area. For example, our Marketing Department only wants to see reports. I don't want for them to have to be able to have access to manipulate layouts and designs we have in draft mode or modify our contact list.

Google Analytics have the abitility for people to grant access to Manage Users, Edit, Collaborate and Read and Analyze.

Something like this would definitely enhance your system.

355 Comments
Without this ability, we cannot fully utilize this service. Please advise ASAP. Many time sensitive projects are held up. HELP!

Hi @AMISHM

I am sorry to hear this frustration. At this time you can only add an account user to the account. This prevents them from seeing billing information, changing or adding products and closing the account. They will be able to see and manage everything else. At this time there aren't other permissions available but this is coming very soon!

We definitely would like to see our users have different roles/viewing permissions in the system, rather than everyone the same thing.
Occasional Contributor

As the manager responsible for overseeing email at my organization, I'm very concerned that there's no stamp of any kind attached to emails indicating which user created and sent them. In order for me to be able to flag problems or issues within our email processes I rely on an ability to track what different staff members are doing in the system, and ideally am able to put some limitations around their permissions to not only monitor their work, but also prevent them from accidentally making unintended changes to contacts, lists or the account.

To that end, I am writing to ask what the feasibility is of the following:

1. Attaching a stamp to any actions taken in the system indicating which user took that action, starting with who built a given email and who sent it. Then working towards including user stamps on any changes to contact records. Possibly also building an activity log for admins to see what different users are doing within the system.

1. Building some rudimentary user permission controls into the system - possible editor level could build emails but not send them and could not change contact records; manager could build and send email and also edit contact records but not make any changes to the account; admin controls everything including user accounts. Access to other modules could also be limited by admin for each user.

It's clear from this post that people have been asking for this for a couple of years now, why has no one from Constant Contact made any meaningful reply or indication of a development process???

Visitor
I noticed that I am a "power user" and that there are "users" but I cannot determine where the restriction manifests. I am a member of a social organization which has a membership who are remarkably "non-technical". We need for there to be a few "Admin" users who can access everything, but we have more [potential] users we would like to have very restricted access (to one particular campaign series and not to others). That would decrease the anxiety that someone could ruin the whole system. Until we can do that, we can't really use all the features of CC.
All Star
With all the hacking and stuff going on in the world, there should be some sort of security that only the person in charge of writing the newsletters is the only one with access to account information, names of subscribers and also the one authorized to write the newsletter.
Visitor
Please consider setting up a role only for managing contacts. Adding new contacts from a sign in sheet from an event, is a job we would like to give to an intern, however they should not have access to creating or editing emails. Thank you...

Thanks for posting this feedback!

All Star

As the account owner/manager, I would like to have more control over what my sub-users are able to access. It would be nice if each user had their own "Campaign Folder" that was password protected. Instead of weeding through the sea of campaigns for what is important to me, I could simply go to my campaign folder. If that was not an option, I would like to be able to lock or password protect certain campaigns that I'm working on so that a sub-user could not accidentally make an unauthorized change. The same goes for contact lists. It would be great if you could give permission for sub-users to access some contact lists, but not others.

I'd like to set users permissions to only specific events, emails and to things they create. This doesn't seem to be possible. Each used seems to have access to everything. Is it something that will be added in the future?

HI @DioceseofFondduLac

Thanks for posting. This is something we're working toward in the future but don't have available right now. Please continue to share your ideas for future developments!

With events, would be great to have view/download only - we have different chairpeople for our events and it would be nice for them to be able to log in and view how many are attending, etc. without having access to entire account.

All Star
It would be the number one priority for me to be able to add users but be able to limit the user's access to a particular list of contacts, but not all of the lists. Thanks
I wish there were more options for creating different user roles - I have clerical staff that I would like to give permission to view/delete contacts in order to deal with bounced emails, but I don't want those staff to be able to edit or send emails.
Hello, we really need to have a permission set that restricts access to viewing and altering client contact information. We don't want our project managers and designers to be able to interact with the client contact data. It causes a security and privacy issue. Please bump this on your list of features to complete. Thank you! Caley
Established Member

ANy news on this? We have been waiting for a very long time for User roles and permissions, and this is now extrememly urgent for us!

All Star
it'd be nice to be able to give different sorts of access to different users. Example: one dept. has a newsletter and only those within that dept can see and edit that newsletter.
Occasional Organizer

I'd like to be able to manage the users not just sign them up with their own name/login. For example, I'd like a junior rep to be able to create campaigns, but not send until given approval. They should be able to submit their draft for approval from CC directly to their manager without the manager logging in. Also, I'd like to be able to assign a template to each user, and all that user's campaigns and drafts be saved to their own folder automatically.

Occasional Visitor
need to have a user that can create and send but no do anything with contacts or billing
Established Member
I need to be able to assign users so they each have their own directory to work in and cannot access other directories. Also not all users should be able to send to all lists.
Established Member

I got the same answer 2 years ago... Any idea when this will happen?

I would be using multiple users at my 6 locations and want various levels of access on a per user basis. essentially, limit the ability of a sales person to export, and or delete and entire data base. The way t looks now, anyone that has a password has full access to the data and the data is not at all secure? Am I wrong or is their any way to secure such data and or apply various levels of access?
Occasional Visitor
Hello, Would it be possible to allow the campaign creator to check on the status of the campaign once it's been sent out. What I really am in need of is someone checking on the status so they can generate a follow-up list of those individuals who opened the email. I'm struggling with being the only person who can manage this account and I use constant contact as my main sales tool. It sets me back from a productivity standpoint because I'm the only one who can manage my account. I do not want to hand off my contact list to my assistant as they can easily download my list . What would be extremely beneficial if if they can have limited access to help us manage the campaign once it's sent. Yes, they will have access to a small percentage of the contacts who opened the email campaign but not our entire database. i hope this makes sense. thx
when we create users on the account, what we expect is we should have the ability to restrict them from either deleting any of the emails from the contacts and also downloading any contacts.

I believe that the campaign creator should be able to also add, delete, edit contacts and email lists. In most cases for nonprofits, the tasks of the campaign creator (events and or marketing coordinator) may also be asked to update, maintain and grow the email contacts to help with fundraising and friendraising efforts.

Additionally, clerical support (administrative assistants/volunteers/interns) may be necessary with someone responsible for maintaining (adding, deleting, editing, etc) the email contacts and lists during specific timeframes or projects.

Is there any way to have a Contacts Manager only role and permissions without having any access to creating the campaign, biling, adding new users, and so on?

This would really help huindreds of one/two shop Development (Fundraising) departments in the nonprofit sector.

Thanks for posting!

Occasional Visitor
Adding Users
Solution Provider
You should have an intermediate one that can send the emails with out seeing the content of the contacts list.
Regular Visitor
I am extremely disappointed in the fact that if we add new users, we are unable to control which lists they can or cannot access. From a security point of view, I find that difficult to understand. Yes, I get it, we should trust anyone we are giving accessing to, but it would be nice to have the flexibility, especially if our clients dealings are very sensitive.
Frequent Visitor
I need to change the email address from morgan@bannersonaroll.com to mtidwell@bannersonaroll.com and I do not see an edit button.
All Star
I was told this was in the works and would be done by the beginning of the year. Still not rolled out to the best of my knowledge. Basically I would like to have some roles have permission to edit but not send email newsletters.
Established Member

We were told this will be done for years. Very disappointed in the lack of responsiveness!

Occasional Visitor
I want to add users as an owner of my company. But, I don't want the employee to have access as a manager with the capability of deleting contacts or billing information. As campaign manager they don't have the ability of adding contacts. The roles are too lopsided. Either they have permission or they don't is the way the system is set up now. No middle ground for limiting a employees role. Please fix this. Regards
Status changed to: Voting Open

Frequent Visitor

If constant contact could at least create a user that was unable to manipulate the contact list would be helpful.  Account managers have too much access we desperately need a level between account manager and campaign creator.

HELP!

We need more flexibility in defining exactly what the roles allow. I believe "Account Manager" provides too much access while "Campaign Creator" doesn't give enough access. Specifically, I need a role between the two that allows users to also send emails.
Frequent Visitor

We have been using Constant Contact happily for several years now.  Recently we added some users who are using the account for different purposes in different departments - with different recipients and unrelated purposes.  After speaking with Customer Support and confirming that the capabilities we are interested in do not exist, we have the following suggestions based on our needs:

1) Ability to partition information separately based on which user is logged in, so that a user would not need to view other users' lists or emails/surveys etc.  Would make it less cluttered, and allow for needed confidentiality.  Perhaps Users could be set up separately, without shared information, and if sharing info was desirable, a Permission email could be sent to the global User requesting that access. Could also involve a small fee to enable partitioning - we are a small business of 400 employees, and we would be willing to pay additional for this capability.

2) Ability to change the email address of the user receiving Confirmation that an email has been sent out.  Right now this address is not editable when creating the email, and the confirmation emails default to the organizational contact.   This means that if another user sends out an email, they do not receive confirmation that it has been sent, and would have to log back into Constant Contact to confirm a successful send.  While you can change the From: address and the ReplyTo: address as well as the Early Results: address, you are not able to change the confirmation address.

Hope this is helpful to others, and would love to see these implemented.  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
We have multiple users of our CC Account (which works great). What we'd like to have is to be able to restrict certain users to only be able to have update access to specific mailing lists. So, for example, our Sisterhood secretary would only have access to the Sisterhood mailing list, our Men's Club secretary would only have access to the Men's Club mailing list, and our Executive Director would have access to all of our mailing lists.
It would be a good idea if you can have an option to assign creator roles to specific campaigns so they only have access to what you allow them to view. Otherwise they can basically edit or change any document that is already there or possibly even alter something by accident that can be a real problem. Also, put your contact phone number on every page, it is a pain to have to switch pages to find the number to call when you have a problem.

I believe you need an additional user role.  Our volunteer organization holds MANY events that require registration so it would be nice to be able to grant the event-lead access to view registration pages (with no editing privileges so I don't have to teach all 30 people how to use the program) so they can make suggestions before the event goes live and for them to be able to run their own reports (so that they could run registrations reports whenever it is convenient for them).  Because I am a volunteer too, it's a lot for me to keep up with.

Thanks,

Tracy

All Star

I recommend you allow the full menus available to "Creation Only" accounts without the "sending" options being active.  Instead, when trying to use the send, create a mouse over with a message that this feature is not available to your level of access.  I spend 2 hours last night trying to email a campaign I created only to not be able to email same.   

Occasional Contributor
It would be great to have more flexibility among users. If we could designate the type of campaigns they could see. If we could prevent users from having access to survey results. If we could determine which type of campaign each user had use to it would be great. If we had a private folder to place items in where no one but account owner could see it would be great. This would be useful if you were going to announce a company wide surprise and did not want to ruin it for the other users. Thinking ahead to the holidays and such. Essentially, we need more flexibility with the access per user. Thanks! :smileyface:

We are a non profit organization and we utilize Constant Contact to organize volunteer teams using tags.  It would be great if there could be added a third level to assign to account users where they could view contact information but not edit.  Currently it is all or nothing.

Occasional Contributor
I would like to see it set up so we can assign various options per user. Maybe have options and we will click on the ones that need to be afforded to each user. Examples: edit contacts send campaigns create campaigns view survey results This is a much needed update!
CTCT Employee

Hi @MichelleMit,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. That is a great suggestion! I have tracked this request to your account to notify our developers regarding the feature. Our developers appreciate the feedback and are always working hard to improve our customer's experience, so please feel free to reach out to us with any suggestions and feedback. Let us know if you need assistance with anything else.

Occasional Contributor
I would like to see Account Owners have the ability to better define the account access of each user. Suggested list of options: create campaign, create survey, view only mode, view survey results, send campaigns, send campaigns that you create, view contacts, edit contacts I'm sure you all have better ideas and better wording but this will hopefully give you a good idea of the needs.
Occasional Contributor
I neeeeeeed more flexibility in the account user roles. I want to have a checklist so I can choose what access each user is granted or denied. Things like: create campaigns only, only see campaigns they create, see contacts, edit contacts, send campaigns, etc......
Occasional Contributor

It would be helpful to have a new role or to expand the Campaign Creator role, so that person could create and download event rsvp reports for an event, as well as create and edit the event.

Occasional Visitor
I would like to suggest additional user roles. I am the account Manager, but would like to allow my front desk staff to enter and update contacts, but not have the ability to send out correspondence. Is it possible to recreate a role that is more of support and limited access to other information and functions
Occasional Visitor
we like to have more customization on the Manager Role especially they cant EXPORT the Contacts