The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

403 Error: Unable to access XML Feeds - Please assist asap!

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

403 Error: Unable to access XML Feeds - Please assist asap!

I was able to Generate Constant Contact Custom Signup Form and integrate the lists on our page and also got a subscription email upon subscribing successfully.

The problem area is we are unable to access XML feeds to get the contact lists info and do the manage section. When I try to load https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{username}/contacts replacing username with the authenticated client account:

It login popup appeared asking for credentials. Even upon providing authenticated username/password, it still shows "HTTP Status 403 - Not Allowed to access xxxx.

The Constant Contact support guide says "This is an authentication problem. Primary reason is that the API call has either not provided a valid API Key, Account Owner Name and Associated Password or the API call attempted to access a resource (URI) which does not match the same as the Account Owner provided in the login credientials." Please check with constant contact support for any advice. Thanks.

But I am sure, the API credentials are right and there is another issue with this.

Thanks for help in advance.

Regards All.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Employee

Re: 403 Error: Unable to access XML Feeds - Please assist asap!

It sounds like you have provided correct credentials for one account but are attempting to access the resources of a different one. Would you be able to either reply to this post with your code or send it to our webservices support team and I'd be happy to take a closer look at this?

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi Support,

Thanks for responding.

I did not write any custom code but just trying to first see the XML format of the contacts using this url: https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{username}/contacts

Please correct me if I was wrong.

Regards.

Highlighted
Employee

That is the correct URL for accessing contacts for an account. For example,  if you were going to be trying to access the contacts for a user named 'joesflowers' you would visit https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/joesflowers/contacts. When prompted for a username you would want to use the format {apikey}%{username}, and the password would be your normal Constant Contact password.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi David,

I tried to access the feed following your guidelines and I could now cross the authentication but it says "Sorry! Unable to add this feed. Please try again." See the screenshot for more info. Please assist.

Regards.

Highlighted
Employee

While visiting https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{username}/contacts in your browser may appear like an RSS feed because of its XML structure, it is actually not an RSS feed and cannot be read as one. This is why Yahoo is having a difficult time adding it into your Yahoo homepage.

Perhaps there is another way to accomplish what you are looking to do though. What is your end goal for doing this?

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I just wanted to see the XML feed and write the code accordingly. As you said, if the browser cannot read the feed, then the only choice would be to see the sample xml format api provided in its sample codes section for writing the program. My goal is to create a backend where we can manage all our contacts.

Regards

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi David,

Please confirm if there is a possibilty for creating sub-administrators/owners on our side for each list/newsletters and give them the complete ability to manage the corresponding lists/newsletters contacts and emails.

Regards.

Highlighted
Employee

The XML returned from a request to something like https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{user-name}/contacts is able to be viewed in most web browsers, though I know some users have experienced issues viewing this in Safari. I would strongly recommend taking a look at the RESTClient, which is a great way to test your API calls and XML structures. This application is used by many of us here internally, and also offers the ability to save specific requests or responses if you needed to review them later.

Regarding your question about creating sub-administrators/owners for each list in your account, this unfortunately is not something Constant Contact is able to do at this time. While multiple logins with separate permissions this is something we are looking to implement in the future, I am not able to offer any kind of ETA of when this is going to be added. At this time, each account has 1 user name and 1 password which manage all of the resources in that account.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this, and I will be glad to help.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks for assisting David. We could finally get the contacts and as you said, it was the browser issue. Surely, we will get back for any help. Thanks.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured