cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affiliate LInks go to Bad Request error page

All Star

Affiliate LInks go to Bad Request error page

First, I'm not a developer, but none of the other CC boards sound like they can answer this type of question. I would be VERY grateful for help with this problem.

I ran an email campaign this weekend that included an affiliate link from Affiliate Window. Before sending I sent myself a test email and the links worked perfectly. When the campaign went live and was sent out by CC, the links in the sent emails went to a page that said "Bad Request."  This happened with two emails.  Here's the original email: http://conta.cc/27INQyk 

I did not add any additional tracking or code to my affiliate link, but AW says there was additional tracking on it. I assume this is being generated by CC. I haven't had this problem using links from any other Affiliate program (Commission Junction, Link Connector, etc.)

I think Affiliate Window is a UK company and they say they haven't heard of CC. Here was there reply:

"I’ve looked at the email source code to see the deeplink as it’s been added to the html:

http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid=5927&awinaffid=254443&clickref=&p=http%3A%2F%2Fww...

It looks like additional GA utm parameters have been added here which are affecting the deeplink.  I’m afraid I or my immediate superior haven’t heard of Constant Contact, so we’re not sure how their own tracking is affecting the link, however this may be something that needs to be queried with them. This is something I can raise with our tech team, however I believe that the utm parameters that Constant Contact have added to the link may be interfering with FMP’s own utm parameters, hence breaking the link. I’m guessing that as the FMP utm parameters are automatically added to all links by us*, we would have to turn this off across the whole account in order for the above link to work.

In the meantime, I would highly recommend identifying with Constant Contact exactly what tracking they are adding to the deeplinks."

Can you please help?

Thank!

Lisa

4 REPLIES 4
Honored Contributor

Re: Affiliate LInks go to Bad Request error page

Hi Lisa,

It looks like the problem here is that you've got Google Analytics tracking enabled for your email campaigns. This option functions by adding some extra information to your links. Based on the input from Affiliate Window, it appears that this additional information is not compatible with their software.

The simplest way to solve this is to disable Google Analytics tracking on your Email Campaigns. This is a setting that needs to be changed on each campaign, you can read about it here: https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5991-using-google-analytics-with-an...

I do also want to note that unfortunately it's not possible to change this on an email that was already sent.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
All Star

Hi Elijah, 

Thank you SO much for reponding. Is it enough to simply not check the Google Analytics box, or is there some sort of html code I need to remove from the style sheet?

Thank you!
Lisa

Honored Contributor

Hi Lisa,

It should be enough to simply not check the Google Analytics box. One great way to test this is to create a temporary list where you are the only member, and then use that list to send yourself a test campaign with a link that didn't work previously.

As a side note, I believe that Google Analytics settings are preserved when you copy email campaigns, so you will want to double-check that the box is not checked for the next campaign you send.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
All Star

Great idea - I'll do that. 

Thanks again!

Lisa