cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The requested URL returned error: 400

Occasional Participant

The requested URL returned error: 400

Having trouble authenticating.   Think the root issue may be the logon(account) and password that I am using.    API Key doesn't seem to be the issue.    Are these meant to be the same as the logon and password used to enter the constant contact web application?   Or should I be using something different?

Patrick

Patrick J. Flynn

3 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

re: 400 error

Hello Patrick,

The login for the API is the same as the Constant Contact username and password.  However, the login is the APIKey%loginname instead of just the login name alone.

I noticed that you put that you are getting a 400 error, not a 401. Usually if it is an authorization error it would be a 401 error. 400 errors are usually returned because of malformed XML. If the error you are receiving is 400, could you give us the XML that you are sending?

If you are still having an issue with authenticating, is it possible you can send your login name to the webservices support team, so that I can look into this further.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

re: 400 error

Ben,

Thanks so much for your reply.   I'm including the XML that is getting generated/sent below. 

<entry>

<title>TitleNode</title>

<updated>2010-08-30T08:22:44+01:00</updated>

<author>

<name>CTCT Samples</name>

</author>

<id>urn:uuid:E8553C09F4xcvxCCC53F481214230867087</id>

<summary type="text">Customer document</summary>

<content type="application/vnd.ctct+xml">

<Contact>

Customer document

<EmailAddress>patrickjamesflynn@gmail.com</EmailAddress>

<FirstName/>

<LastName/>

<MiddleName/>

<CompanyName/>

<JobTitle/>

<OptInSource>ACTION_BY_CONTACT</OptInSource>

<HomePhone/>

<WorkPhone/>

<Addr1/>

<Addr2/>

<Addr3/>

<City/>

<StateCode/>

<StateName/>

<CountryCode/>

<PostalCode/>

<SubPostalCode/>

<Note/>

<EmailType/>

<ContactLists/>

</Contact>

</content>

</entry>

Patrick J. Flynn

CTCT Employee

List not included

Hi Patrick,

It does not look you are including a Contact List URI when adding the contact.  Contact Lists are required when doing a POST to the Contact Collection.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!