cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

how to set up the new Automated Email Series to work like an Autoresponder

Highlighted

how to set up the new Automated Email Series to work like an Autoresponder

I have been using Autoresponder series for years. Now, CC has substituted Automated Email Series that work differently.

How do you set up the new Automated Email Series to work like Autoresponder? Fundamentally, I just want it to send a series of emails to each person that is added to a list. The problem is that it may not work. 

For instance, will it work if I do the following:

• Create a series.
  • Set the Trigger of the Trigger Email to "A Contact Joins a List"
  • Attach the series to a new blank list (I believe that I have to do this even though I have an existing list of contacts that is constantly added to). Let's call this the "Series List"
  • Activate the Series
  • Add contacts from an existing list to the Series List. My assumption is that the series will now send the Trigger Email to all contacts of the Series List. Further, my assumption is that the series will send all additional emails to all contacts irrespective of their action on the Trigger Email. This is necessary to make it function like the Autoresponder. 
  • Then, to add new contacts to the Series List a) do it manually or b) use the Click Segmentation to add them. My assumption is that when new contacts are added to the Series List, that the full set of emails will be sent to all new contacts irrespective of their action.

Is the above correct?

Is there a more direct way to do this?

3 REPLIES 3

It appears that there are actually 2 different types of Auto Email Series

I've used Autoresponder for years. I've spent quite a few hours over the last few days trying to understand how to use the new Automated Email Series. The instructions just didn't seem to make sense.

Eureka! I think that I just figured out that actually there are two different types of Auto Email Series.

1. One is a series based upon starting with just using a List. In this case there is no Trigger Email.
  2. The other is a series based upon having a Trigger Email and then the user's action.

The difference is how you set up the first step of the series and how it flows into the rest. 

Can anyone confirm that I am correct?

If this is correct, CC should document this and drive people to choose between two documents. They could also do a side-by-side comparison.

Tags (2)

Re: It appears that there are actually 2 different types of Auto Email Series

Hi @WilliamR415 

The difference between our existing Autoresponder Series and our New Automated Email Series is how the series can be triggered. Our Autoresponder Series are triggered by a contact joining a list. While on the other hand our Automated Email Series has four trigger types:

1. Opening an email - If a contact opens your Trigger Email.
  2. Click any link - If a contact clicks any link in the Trigger Email.
  3. Click a specific link - If a contact clicks a specific link in the Trigger Email. You can only choose one link to act as the trigger.
  4. A Contact joins a list - If a contact signs up or is added to a specific email list.

After reading both of your posts, you are doing the correct steps needed! If you are look to just send a series of emails to each person that is added to a list, then you do not need to create a new list. You only will have to create a new list if you want contacts who were previously on the list before to receive the series. Otherwise, you'll have to remove contacts from the trigger list, then add them back in.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Participating Solution Provider

Re: how to set up the new Automated Email Series to work like an Autoresponder

Hi WilliamR415,

Our "Email Marketing Mastery Series" webinar this week  is covering Email Automation!

I think you will find this webinar, along with the others we offer helpful!

Here's the link to register for free!  

Register Here

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

As Constant Contact Certified Partners & Trainers we host weekly free training webinars to help users master email marketing. Register here: https://www.marketadvertisepromote.com/events
Tags (2)