Customer Visit - Volunteering with the Thompson Island Outbound Education Center

Administrator

When I was invited to spend part of the day with some of my co-workers volunteering with the Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center I did not even hesitate to say "Yes." I talk with customers every day through social media, here in the Community and also over the phones, but it's not every day that you get to see all of the additional work that they do once our conversation is over. I was excited to get to know one of the many customers who use Constant Contact for their email marketing.

20170531_082846.jpg

About The Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center

The Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide adventurous and challenging experiential learning programs that inspire character development, compassion, community service, environmental responsibility, and academic achievement for students in the metropolitan Boston area. The 204 acre island becomes an outdoor classroom for these students and encourages them to learn and grow as a person and as a member of their community (Source: Thompson Island).

The Volunteering Experience

20170531_075724.jpgOur day started off on the chilly side with a blanket of clouds covering part of the Boston skyline. We were immediately put to work by helping to load the boat with all of the supplies that were needed for their upcoming events and for their everyday work. There is no such thing as quick runs to the store for this crew! After a 20-minute ferry ride over to the island, we helped to unload the supplies and were greeted by the Thompson Island staff. Their excitement to see our group of 44 volunteers ready to help for the day was evident. 

After our briefing session, our large group was split into teams that would focus on different tasks to be done around the island. One team assisted with setting up spaces for a few events they were getting ready to host and another prepared raft building materials for an upcoming team building project. My team assisted with weeding around the two cabins that housed classroom equipment students would need for their various activities. What took us about an hour to complete might have taken the island's much smaller team many more of their precious work hours. We then moved over to the orchard to rake dead grass. The field is used by the students to have engaging discussions during their time on the island. 

20170531_140033.jpgOur group had lunch and was then given a tour of the island. The island has been used to educate the youth of the Boston area for over 175 years and has grown from a small farming school with only 14 students to this beautiful environmental educational center that plays host to outdoor learning programs and also team building outings for corporations and organizations. Beyond the classrooms and main buildings are hiking trails and access to the salt marshes for the public to explore when the island is open on the weekends during the summer. 

I was grateful for the time that I was able to spend on Thompson Island with my co-workers and meet some of the wonderful people who help to make this beautiful island continue to operate. Being able to see what this organization does for the students of the Boston area and know that our product is able to help them is a great feeling. I am inspired daily during my conversations with our hard-working customers. It makes it easy to come into work every day knowing that I'm assisting them with an important part of their business or organization.

Want to know more about this great organization? Visit their website and you can also find them on Facebook and Twitter.

20170531_104356.jpg