LEARN MORE: Automatically Resend an Email to Contacts That Did Not Open

Contacts don't open emails for a variety of reasons: they're too busy, your email got buried on a busy mailing day, or they might not find your subject line that interesting. The good news is that you can set your email to automatically resend to the contacts who didn't open it the first time, and tweak your subject line for them, too.

Interested? Click here to view the full article on our Knowledge Base!

Questions? Ask below!

35 Comments

Is it possible to "undo" or edit the resend option? I want to change my subject line! It sent Tuesday and is scheduled for this Saturday to unopened emails. 

Employee

Hi @NatividadFoundation,

That's a great question!  Currently, there is no way to edit the resend option once the email has been sent, but you can remove the option before the resend happens on Saturday.  If you do choose to cancel your automatic resend, you won't be able to reschedule it to automatically resend later. At that point you can manually make a new list of the contacts that did not open your email, copy the email, and send the copy to that list.

Regular Participant

I forgot to check off the "automatically resend to nonopeners" option when sending my campaign the first time. Can I do that now - re-send to non-openers?

Employee

Hi @MargieW,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. Even though you have already sent out your email campaign, you can still manually send the campaign to your contacts who have not opened your current email campaign. You first need to add the did-not-open contacts to a list. To do this:

1. Click on Reporting (to the top)
  2. Scroll down and click on one of the rate numbers for your campaign (Open, Click, Bounce, etc.)
  3. Click on Did Not Open (to the left)
  4. Check off the checkbox next to Name
  5. Click on Manage Lists and select Add to Lists
  6. Create a new list (Name it Did Not Open)

Then, you can copy your email campaign and schedule it out to the Did Not Open list. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions! 

Regular Participant

Hi Lucas – No, that did not work - I think because everyone had already received the email – they just hadn’t opened it. There was a message that came up saying the message would not be sent to anyone who had already received it.

I got this message when I did what you said:

Hello Margie,

We just wanted to let you know that when we attempted to send your email, listed below, there were no eligible contacts. As a result, no one received the email.

Everything worked as it should have, but we wanted to inform you in case you expected the email to reach any contacts.

This may have happened for a number of reasons, most likely because you resent an email and there weren't any new contacts, or if you accidentally removed all of the contacts in a particular list prior to sending your email.

If you have any questions, we're happy to help.

Thanks,

The Constant Contact Team

Regular Participant

Oh, never mind. I missed the step of copying the campaign first. I will try again.

Great @MargieW

Please let us know if making a copy helps, or if there is anything else in your account we can assist with!

Regular Participant

Yes, that worked.

Employee

@MargieW

Awesome! Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. We are happy to help!

Regular Participant

Any chance this will be updated soon to be able to choose a time on the day it resends? For example, I do the first send on a morning, but the resend day gets better results in the afternoon.

edit: It's not working. I got this error: "We couldn't schedule your resend email"

Employee

Hello @TWS,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can definitely understand how important it could be to edit the exact time frame the resend will go out. At this time, the Resend to non-openers feature currently does not allow you to edit the time it will go out. Although this is not a feature, I will be adding your account to a track to be notified if ever something like this gets added on to our Resend to non-openers.

In regards to the error you are experiencing, did you receive this error when scheduling the first email? Or did you receive this error message when selecting the option to resend to non-openers? We'd like to take a look into this issue for you. If you could email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with the username to your Constant Contact account, the name of the email you are experiencing this issue in along with a reference to this post and also a screenshot of the issue, if possible. In the meantime, have a wonderful day!

Participant

I have a notice on several of my e-mails that says, "We couldn't schedule your resend email." There are no details nor is it clickable. Nothing is scheduled for the times that they are supposed to go out. Does anyone know why I would be getting this error?

Thanks!

Employee

Hello @WPoint,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can definitely understand the importance of having these mailings go out. It seems as if the message you are getting is because you are trying to resend an email. Have you  recently tried re-sending a previous email to the same group of contacts? Also, we'd like to take a deeper look into this issue. Would you be able to email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with some additional information:

1 - The username to your Constant Contact account,

2 - The name of the email(s) that you have received this message in,

3 - Some additional information on any steps that you have taken so far,

4 - If possible, a screenshot of the error message you are receiving.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can also assist with today in the meantime. Have a wonderful day.

Participant

Love the concept of the auto-resend.

I'd like to put in my vote to be able to schedule the time to automatically resend an email to non-openers. This seems like an obvious feature and I was surprised it didn't exist.

Employee

Hello @TomW42,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are happy to see your excitement with our new Resend to Non-Openers feature. I can definitely understand how beneficial it can be to add a time for this resend. Although this is something that is currently not part of the feature that was added, I will be passing your feedback along to the correct team for review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us. If you happen to have any other feedback or ideas, feel free to reach back out to us with that information and we'd be more than happy to submit your feedback/idea. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Participant

Thanks for this article

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/22442-automatically-resend-an-email...

But i dont have the feauture to resend to my list.. it's not showing up on my end.
I have the email plus subscription can you please advise

Employee

Hi @ValerieL673,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. I am sorry to hear that you are not able to locate the resend feature. You want to make sure that your email campaigns/templates are within the Third-Generation Editor. The Legacy editor does not have the new resend functionality. To access the new Third-Generation editor, please click here. Also, if you need a visual for the resend option on the new Third-Generation editor, please click here. I hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Occasional Participant

Hi,

We would like to begin using the resend feature and noticed that the option box appears in the schedule screen for some emails but not others.  Is there a reason that would happen?

Thanks,

Amy

Hooker & Holcombe

Employee

Hi @HHConsulting,

That is a great question!  The resend to non-openers option is only available in the Third-Generation editor schedule screen.  That being said, if you happen to be using A/B Subject line testing, it will not show as an option because they cannot be done at the same time.  If you are using the Legacy templates, the resend to non-openers is not available.

Occasional Participant

Is there an enhancement planned to allow users to still hit auto send if they've forgotten to check it originally? The workaround is an option, but would love to be able to use the function as it's set up if I've forgotten to check auto send when sending the email originally.