cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Memorial Day: In recognition of the Memorial Day holiday, our Support office will be will be closed on Monday, May 29th.

Active vs. All Contacts

With the new contacts system you may have noticed that your contacts show in several different displays. You can view just your active contacts or you can view all of your contacts.

What is the difference?

Active contacts are contacts you can send campaigns to. This excludes the Company Contacts we created for you. These contacts do count toward your billing.

All Contacts are your active contacts plus unsubscribed contacts, contacts who haven't given their permission to be emailed, contacts without email address or contacts who are Awaiting Confirmation.

Example: In this account I have 143 contacts that I can email but I have a total of 218 contact records created.  

Please note: Active contacts + Unsubscribed + Awaiting Confirmation + No Permissions might not equal the total number of active contacts that you have in the account. This is because of the Company Contacts that are created for every company listed in the account.

Hannah_M

Hi I'm Hannah! I started at Constant Contact in April 2011 as a Customer Support Rep answering calls, chats and emails. I moved to the Social Media team full time in October 2012. I also work with the @ctcthelp twitter handle, follow me there!

2 Comments
All Star

What are company contacts and, if they are created by Constant Contact, why do they count toward my billing? (from above - "Active contacts are contacts you can send campaigns to. This excludes the Company Contacts we created for you. These contacts do count toward your billing.")

CTCT Employee

Hello @BillJ71750. Company contacts used to be a type of contact that featured company information but they are no longer a feature in accounts. The only billable contacts in your account are your active contacts. Here is a more up-to-date FAQ that explains active contacts.