cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Add an Em-Dash to My Campaign?

Honored Contributor

UPDATED APRIL 2018: This article refers to a feature only available in our second-generation editor (also known as the Legacy Editor). It is not currently available in the third-generation editor. 

One request that we often receive is “How do I create an em-dash in my email?”. This is really easy to do but you need to have the code to do it. I’m going to show you how you can, using the html code view within your campaign’s bock, how to do this.

• Go to Campaigns
  • Click to Edit your Campaign or Create a New Campaign
  • Click to edit the block where you want to put the em-dash
  • Click the HTML button in the edit toolbar

Campaigns HTML button.png

• This will open a new window called Code View
  • Search in here for your word that you want to add the emdash to
  • Paste in this code:

<span style="letter-spacing: -3px;"> --- </span>

• Click Update at the bottom of the Code View window
  • Make sure everything looks great
  • Click Save to save your changes in your block

And that’s it! Super easy to add an em-dash. Log into your account now to add your em-dashes to your campaigns! If you have any questions let us know.

UPDATE: This feature is only available in our Second Generation Editor (2GE) and might not be available in all accounts. 

Marissa_R

26 Comments

Hi @JenniferT5

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question! I took a peek at your account and can see you are currently working in our newest Third Generation Editor (3GE). This particular article highlights a workaround when working in our previous Second Generation Editor (2GE). Our 3GE templates do not currently have access to HTML or the feature available to add an em-dash. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. In the meantime, I have tracked your feedback for both of these features in your account and passed them on to our engineers.

Just another current user jumping on the bandwagon to say that this is pretty discouraging. The em dash is one of the most commonly used punctuation marks in the English language and even with this inconvenient code work-around it still does not come out correctly. It looks more like an en dash or hyphen. I see this issue has been on the discussion boards for around 3 years with no correction. Not so great.

CTCT Employee

Hi @KathrynN5,

We appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns with this. I checked your account and it looks like you're using both the Legacy Editor and the new Third Generation Editor. Either way, a workaround to including an em dash would be to first create it in Word and then copy/paste it into the text of your email campaign (created in either editor.) We apologize for the inconvenience and I've submitted your feedback about this to our programmers. Please let us know if we can provide any assistance with making an em dash appear correctly in any of your email campaigns. We're here to help!

Occasional Participant

Dear @KathrynN5 and All:

In our experience, when using the Legacy Editor copy-pasting from Word did not solve this problem. However, we find that the Third Gen Editor does support em-dashes. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi @EmilyB1

Thanks for sharing that tip with us! Glad you were able to insert an em-dash into your campaign.

Established Member

Very helpful.  Thank you.