cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert a PDF to an image file using a screenshot

PDF files are common file formats for flyer's, brochures, menus and more. We know you often want to include a graphic of that PDF file in your email. Since you can only enter an image if it’s a jpeg, gif or png file we have some directions for you on how to turn your PDF file into an image file. We will do this by taking a screenshot, or capture of your document. Make sure you have the document open on your computer or phone and then following along below.

First, we need to determine which type of device you are working on.

• Windows PC
  • Mac
  • Mobile Device

1. Windows.jpgClick the Print Screen icon on your keyboard. The image of your screen will be saved to your clipboard.
  2. Open Microsoft paint by clicking Start > All Programs > Accessories. Once open, click edit >“paste”.
  3. Crop the image out if needed*
  4. Once you are set with the image click File > Save and then choose to save it as a Jpeg, Png or Gif file.

*Please note, you are welcome to crop or edit the image once you get it into Constant Contact as well.

apple.jpg

1. Click Apple-Shift-3.
  2. An image will be saved to your desktop called “Picture.png”

mobile.pngTo take a screenshot on an Iphone:

1. Press the Home and Sleep (on/off) button at the same time.
  2. Hold the buttons until the screen flashes
  3. Preview your screenshot in your photos.

To take a screenshot on an Android device:

1. Press the volume down rocker button and the power button at the same time.
  2. Hold the buttons until the screenshot is taken
  3. Preview the image in your gallery

*All mobile devices are a little different so we’ve included the two most common mobile types here. If these aren’t working or you have another type of device please check your manual to see if a screenshot is possible.

Now you are ready to upload to Constant Contact!

Hannah_M

Hi I'm Hannah! I started at Constant Contact in April 2011 as a Customer Support Rep answering calls, chats and emails. I moved to the Social Media team full time in October 2012. I also work with the @ctcthelp twitter handle, follow me there!

2 Comments
Honored Contributor

Nicely presented tutorial.

Just my two cents.....

Although this method does describe how to get an image of a PDF file or any other image on the screen embedded into an email the larger issue not discussed is the relative uselessness of the resulting graphic as a readable element.

From my experience a large majority of clients don't understand the difference between the size of a printed page and the size of a 600 pixel wide ( CC default I think) email.

In most cases the PDF will be created for an 8.5 x 11 inch page while the screen area of the captured and scaled down PDF file will usually be too small to even read. Imagine trying to view a full size page size brochure on your iPhone.

Another problem using basic tools like the ones described is the inability to capture any part of an image that is not viewable on the screen. For projects like that I recommend a product called SNAGIT.

Tony

Offering FREE Project Consultation
Accredited CTCT Solution Provider
Constant Contact All Star 2009-2010-2011-2012

www.cliquemarketing.biz

Thanks Tony! I am a big fan of SnagIt also but we know not everyone has access to this tool. If you do get an image into Paint or another free editing software you should be able to crop out the area you want to show. 

You are correct in pointing out that including a PDF file as the body of your email isn't ideal. If there is text it can become blurry but some people will include a screenshot of a PDF as a clickable link to the larger version. This is a good process when talking about an updated menu or something visual. The image of this can have a large impact even if you need to click to continue reading. There are a number of situations where including an image of your PDF is useful (beyond being the content of the email)!