cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make an image a background image

You can add a background image to any template, even if it doesn’t have a background image by default.  Here are a couple of tips before we get started.

• Not all email clients will show a background image. For more on this check out The Email Standards Project.
  • Make sure you include a background color in case the image isn’t able to show.
  • Adding an image to a template that doesn’t have a default does require some HTML knowledge. If you aren’t comfortable adding this to your template please contact support or use a template with a default background image.

To change the image in a template with a default background image:

1. Click to edit the email

2. On the left of the page choose to view the Colors & Fonts menu.

3. Under “Backgrounds” click on the Body Background thumbnail

background.jpg

4. Choose an image from the overlay window. You can insert from your library, Image URL, or template images!

5. Click Insert

6. You will now see the new background image reflected in the template preview.

Add an Image to a Template that Doesn't Have a Default Background Image:

1. If your template doesn't have a default background image, it is possible to add one to your email's style sheet.

2. Edit your email.

3. At the top of the page, click Style Sheet.

4. Locate the .Body declaration portion of the style sheet.

5. Insert the image URL into the .Body area, like this:

body.jpg

6. Click Save

Now preview your new background image!

Do you need to change the style of the background image? Check out these directions!

Hannah_M

Hi I'm Hannah! I started at Constant Contact in April 2011 as a Customer Support Rep answering calls, chats and emails. I moved to the Social Media team full time in October 2012. I also work with the @ctcthelp twitter handle, follow me there!

8 Comments
CTCT Employee

Hello @Georgia Sales

That is a great question! At this time there are no options to stop the background image from repeating. We recommend using a continuous image so that it looks as good as possible. Here is a really great article about adding background images. I hope that this was helpful!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Unacceptable. NO TILING...ever should be allowed for inserted background images. There is an html function which turns that off. Constant Contact needs to figure this out. Otherwise why use a backgorund image function at all?
CTCT Employee

Hello @Vitalgate,

I apologize that for the inconvenience you are experiencing with this, and we completely understand why you want a solid image to appear for the background of your email campaigns. I would be more than happy to submit your feedback over to our engineers for review and you will be contacted with updates. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you have a wonderful day!