cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overview: Role Addresses

CTCT Employee

A Role Address is an address that will distribute an email to multiple inboxes. Some common examples are Admin@, Sales@, Jobs@, Marketing@.  Since these distribution lists include several people on the receiving end, it is very hard to ensure that everyone on the list gave permission to receive the email. It is possible that one person on the list opted in, using the role address which will essentially send “spam” to the others on the distribution list who were unaware. As a result, we have blocked a series of Role Addresses to avoid our users running into this issue. Constant Contact emails will not be delivered to any email address containing the word “spam” in it as well.

You will want to make sure that the email addresses in your lists are specific to each recipient to ensure that your emails are being delivered properly.

One exception that can come into play is if you need to utilize a role address personally as a contact or reply to email within Constant Contact. You can do so, just be sure to verify that email address on the account so Constant Contact servers know it is an exception and even then, you may run into some trouble verifying the address for a similar reason.

To see a full list of our Role Addresses, check them out here!

Ian_W

My name is Ian Wheeler! I've been with Constant Contact for a little over a year now and have had a great experience here! I will be interning with the Social Support Team and look forward to growing and learning with them!

2 Comments
All Star

I understand the problems associated with sending to role addresses.  What are the hazards or disadvantages of sending from a role address such as "info@"?

Honored Contributor

Hello @MeganKB5

As long as the info@ address is recognizable to your contacts, there are not too many disadvantages to using it as your "From" address.  The only thing that you might want to think about is that there could be replies coming to that address, even if you set a different "Reply To" address in the header options.  This can happen based off of email client that cannot read the "Reply To" email address as being different.  This can also happen with some bounce messages that automatically go back to the sender of the email.  If the info@ address is an internal distribution list, then you might want to make the members aware of these possibilities. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.