cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Checker

We know you spend lots of time working on your emails. Take an extra minute before you send to run the Spam Checker. This is a content-filtering tool that can help increase your delivery rate. The tool uses a mix of Constant Contact and SpamAssasin content-matching rules to assess the potential for SPAM in your header (including subject line), body and footer of your email. This is different than when someone marks your email as SPAM because the email is unwanted or unsolicited.  Running the spam checker helps to make sure your email stays out of the junk folder.  Please note, this doesn’t guarantee that your email will be delivered to all of the contacts in your list.

To Run Spam Checker:

1. Create or edit a campaign
2. Click “Spam Check” located above the email header. Your rating and any content displays beneath the button.

spamchecker.png

3. Review and edit your email to remove as many contact filters as possible.
4. Click Spam Check again to check your rating.

What does my rating mean?

Color 

Risk Level

Recommended Actions

Green

Little to none

Your content is great, go ahead and send your email.

Green

Low

Your content will be allowable for most receiving systems.

Yellow

Medium

Your email content may trigger content filters. We recommend that you edit the flagged content.
Note: Sometimes a medium risk level is triggered when the From/Reply address is a free email address (Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, etc.), and isn't the default address on your account. This will not impact your email when you hit the Send button.

Red

High

It is very likely that content filters will block your email based on its content. We strongly recommend that you edit the flagged content.

Remember, you can turn on Constant Contact Authentication to improve deliverability with ISPs and other domains.

Hannah_M

Hi I'm Hannah! I started at Constant Contact in April 2011 as a Customer Support Rep answering calls, chats and emails. I moved to the Social Media team full time in October 2012. I also work with the @ctcthelp twitter handle, follow me there!

6 Comments
Developer

When the spam checker doesn't like something, how do I tell where it is in the email? All it says is, "Looks like trying to sell meds" but I don't know what it is in the email that needs to be fixed!

Am I missing something??

Honored Contributor

Hello @DaveBalch

The Spam Checker does not show what in particular is causing it to show a specific message. What we would do to test something like this is to make a copy of the email and delete out blocks/content and test when this message disappears to find out what exactly is causing it to appear. I am more than happy to take a look at your account if you would like. 

Thanks, 

Developer

Thank you - as it turns out that's exactly what I did!

FYI, it was the word "medical" in the phrase "medical alert device" - I removed it and got back to a green spam rating.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for keeping us updated @DaveBalch! I am happy to hear that you were able to get the spam rating lowered for your email. 

Have a great day! 

I am unable to locate the spam checker in my Constant Contact editor and all the support resources I'm finding don't match my interface. I believe I'm using the next generation editor. Help?
CTCT Employee

Hello JillianC643,

Thank you for your post.  Currently, the Spam Check feature is not available in the Next Generation Editor.  Sorry for any confusion.  I've passed along your need for this feature in our new editor.  Perhaps in a future release this would be added to it.

In the meantime, check out our helpful tips regarding Spam and steps you can take to help minimize the risk as much as possible.

Thank you for your time!