cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended Bounce Category Overview

CTCT Employee

When you send an email to the same Non-Existent address, it can end up negatively impacting your overall deliverability. To help you monitor these types of email addresses, we have created the Suspended bounce category

To better explain this category, when an email address bounces as Non-Existent they are then placed on a temporary hold for 15 days. Our system will not try to send any campaigns to this email address from any Constant Contact account. If an account does attempt to send to one of these Non-Existent addresses, the email address will then be included in the bounced reporting as a Suspended bounce.

After the temporary hold is lifted, we will then allow sending to that address the next time any account sends a campaign to it. If it bounces as non-existent again, that email address will then be placed on an indefinite hold and will show as Suspended moving forward.

Constant Contact promises not to edit any of your contacts within your account, so we will not automatically remove these addresses from the account. Because of this, you will want to manage these bounces by either fixing the address or removing it. If you find you do have questions about a particular contact bouncing back as Non-Existent or Suspended, you can always give our Deliverability team a call to discuss what steps you should take next.

Amber_R

Hey there! My name is Amber and I've been working at Constant Contact since April 2014. When i'm not helping with Social Support, I am assisting our customers over the phone and through chat!

6 Comments
Occasional Contributor

Hi Amber, Thanks for trying to explain Suspended emails but the formal CC explanation is extremely confusing and really not much help at all as evidenced by the large number of posts that continue to ask for clarity. I'm hoping you can answer a few questions I continue to struggle with.

If Suspended email address are supposedly Non-Existent email addresses then why would I see an email address in my account show as Suspended without ever having been in the Non-Existent category first?

If an email address is on a 15 day hold and a send attempt is made, does that start the 15 day hold all over again from the date of the new send attempt or will the hold continue to expire 15 days from its original hold date?

In reality, if an email address is Non-Existent, than even after 15 days it still shouldnt exist.  However, I've seen many instances of valid email addresses being classified as Non-Existent and then work the next time a campaing is sent.  So really, whats the point of the Suspended hold?

Is there any way to opt out of Suspended classifications as I trust my own judgement on what to do with bounces better than a faulty algorithm?

At some point CC places Suspended email addresses on indefinite hold but never communicates that new classification and as such we spend unwarranted time trying to decipher the validity of email addresses within the Suspended category. Are they on a 15 day hold or are they on an indefinate hold? There's no way to tell.  As such its impossible to manage Suspendeds logically.  The only solution given to us is to delete all the Suspended emails from our accounts and risk wiping out our contact list based on erroneous information from CC.

CTCT Employee

Hello @Braeside,

Great questions!

The reason you may see an email go straight into Suspended, and not Non-existent in your account, is that it has bounced as Non-existent on another Constant Contact account. In example, if I signed up for your list and another small business’ list, and my email bounced as Non-existent in that other account so that when I bounce in yours, it shows Suspended.

The 15 day hold will not start over if there is another attempt made during that time. It will remain 15 days from the original hold date.

Sometimes an email will bounce as Non-existent when there is a temporary problem with their servers not accepting any emails or they temporarily go down. So the hold is there so that if it is a temporary problem, we can send to those emails one the issue has been resolved.

There is not a way to opt out of labeling bounce types as Suspended.

I understand the inconvenience of not knowing which Suspended bounces are on the 15 day or the indefinite hold. It is great feedback and I will pass that along to the appropriate teams. In the meantime, you do not have to delete all the Suspended emails; you can look over them to see if there were any typos or incorrect information. You can also call our Deliverability team with any questions on those email addresses to see if we could assist.

All Star

I used to struggle with this matter, too.  I understand it now, I think; therefore:

We need to receive confirmation when an email address goes from Temporary Hold to Indefinite Hold.  Something like a change in status from Suspended to Non-Existent.  Because according to the logic, we could see 10 Suspended bounces in a row and still not be sure if it's truly suspended forever, or just under a more recently instituted, new 15-day suspension (which it could be if there is an intermittent problem such that email to that address was delivered successfully by another client on the first attempt following the prior 15-day suspension, before bouncing as Non-Existent once again a day or two after that).

Communication with our customers, our clients and vendors, our donors and volunteers--this is how we do our business.  Apparently you know when our avenue of contact has been closed down, but you don't provide a programmed solution to let us know as well.  All the thousands of your clients shouldn't individually have to check with the special deliverability team about such instances.  The data should be available in the interface we all use.

This is not something that needs to be voted on, and it's not feedback that should be passed to the appropriate teams.  It is literally the name of this company and its product.  So I am not saying we want to receive a confirmation.  I'm saying we need it, and I believe we deserve it.

Michael

Administrator

Hello @mchristo,

I completely understand how you would want to see when your contacts go from a temporary hold to an indefinite hold. You want to reach out to and stay in touch with those contacts who you know will successfully receive your email. At this time, it is something that we continue to take feedback on and I will let our product team know that this is a feature that would you feel would be beneficial to your account. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and I assure you that we are listening to your requests.

what if someone is on the temporary hold list, and we don't send any emails to them during that 15-day window? will they automatically get suspended? If so, that seems unfair since there wasn't any opportunity for the system to determine if the address really should have been suspended or if it was just a momentary glitch that has since gone away. also, how do we tell what kind of bounce error (detail) an email is receiving? if it's an autoresponder, sometimes those have new email addresses for the contact included. is it possible to see that information?
All Star

Although I expect more, I understand if there is no other route for my statement than the usual feedback channel.  However, something that might benefit Constant Contact is to recognize and distinguish in the feedback process between what users truly suggest as feature requests, and what we complain about as feature or programmatic failures.  These are two different phenomena, and your recognizing that might help you better prioritize design changes to the system.

And maybe you already do that, but you're not transparent about it.  But you should be, because you see the frustration and impatience of users who ask what's up with a fix for something like "View more campaigns," yet you offer no public information about what plans or programming are in progress to ameliorate a problem that is wasting--collectively--thousands of hours of user time and, therefore, tens of millions of dollars in user wages that could be spent more productively.

Michael