cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Tags?

Tags

Tags are a way for you to group contacts together for targeted emails or just a way to organize your contacts!  This is an internal only organization method that can be applied to contacts with or without permission to send.

Creating a Tag

You can always create new tags while you are adding contacts but in some situations you will want to set your tags up ahead of time. Here is how:

1.        Login to your Constant Contact account
  2.        Click “Contacts”
  3.        Click the plus sign icon next to “Tags” on the left of the page.
  4.        Type in the tag you want to create
  5.        Hit “Enter” on your keyboard to save.

Deleting a Tag

No longer need a tag? Deleting is easy!

1.        Login to your Constant Contact account.
  2.        Click “Contacts”
  3.        Find “Tags” on the left panel of the page
  4.        Hover over the tag name you want to delete and click the down arrow.
  5.        Select “Delete” from the menu
  6.        Confirm that you want to delete on the overlay window.

Add or Remove Tags from Specific Contacts

If you want to add or remove a tag from a specific contact you will want to find them in the account and click to view their details.  Use the “Tag” area on the right to add or remove.

Using Tags

When you send your next campaign select your list and then use the “Narrow it down” option to send to just a tag (or tags).

using.jpg

Example

ABC Academy uses Constant Contact to send out school newsletters as well as announcements for each grade and class. They have a list of students, parents and teacher email addresses. Previously they needed lots of different lists to keep track of each different group but now they use tags to target their emails.  They have a list in their account for just the 6th grade. Here is how tags are used within this list.

Sally is a student in the 6th grade.  She is part of Mrs. Rogers’ class.

Sally.jpg

Joe is Sally’s father.

Joe.jpg

Mrs. Rogers is one of the 6th grade teachers.

Betty.jpg

When ABC Academy wants to send an email about the 6th grade fundraiser, they send to the entire list. When they want to let the parents and students know about a surprise planned for “Teacher Appreciation Day” then send to the 6th grade list and then narrow it down to just “Students” and “Parents”.  Perhaps the school wants to send an internal newsletter to just the teachers, they can send to the 6th grade list and narrow down to only the “teachers”.  Tags help ABC academy stay organized without having too many lists in their account. 

Hannah_M

Hi I'm Hannah! I started at Constant Contact in April 2011 as a Customer Support Rep answering calls, chats and emails. I moved to the Social Media team full time in October 2012. I also work with the @ctcthelp twitter handle, follow me there!

2 Comments
Occasional Contributor

I see where you can limit by tag but is there a way to exclude by tag?

For example; Say you have a list you're sending an invitation to. You tag those who RSVP that they can't come. You want to send out an update to the rest of the list that is coming. You'd exclude those with the "Can't Come" tag.

Based on what I'm reading above, it seems as if I would have to tag everyone as attending from the start and then remove the tag from those who aren't coming.

Honored Contributor

Hello @Kevin , 

We do not have a way to exclude tags at this time.  You would need to remove the tag from anyone you would not want to receive the email to use the Narrow it down feature.  This would be a great idea to add to our Feedback area though, please feel free to post here.