cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if I need to add contacts to a list my AR is assigned to?

Autoresponders can be tricky when you start to think about the contacts that were added to the Autoresponder list after some emails have already sent.  Don’t worry, I’ve got the explanation!

Let’s start by remembering that you assign your Autoresponder series to a specific list (or lists) in the account so it’s not automatically assigned to all of them.

Any contact that joins the list you’ve assigned will be sent the Autoresponder email at the time you’ve indicated during scheduling of the email. The date that the Autoresponder’s state is turned on is the cutoff point between new customers to those lists. If someone is added to the list after the Autoresponder has been tuned on, they are considered new.

Let’s look at a couple of situations.

My account is set up with 1 Autoresponder series. The first email is scheduled to send one day after the contact is added. The second is email is set to send 30 days after the contact joins, and the third email is set to send 90 days after the contact is added to the list. All three emails are active and assigned to the list named “Pet lovers!”.

John is signing up today! He adds himself to “Pet Lovers” and gets my welcome email. He will get AR # 1 tomorrow, the second in 30 days and the third in 90 days.

Betty is already part of my list. She’s been on the “Pet lovers!” list for one year.  She will get none of my Autoresponder emails.

Bill has been part of my “Coupons” list for a week. He decides to edit his profile and join the “Pet Lovers!” list today. He will get the first Autoresponder email tomorrow, the second in thirty days and the third in 90 days.

Maria was part of my “Pet Lovers!” list last month but unsubscribed. If she re-subscribes and joins “Pet Lovers!” today, what emails will she get?

If you have a question about your specific situation let us know!

Hannah_M

Hi I'm Hannah! I started at Constant Contact in April 2011 as a Customer Support Rep answering calls, chats and emails. I moved to the Social Media team full time in October 2012. I also work with the @ctcthelp twitter handle, follow me there!