cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Ways Google Analytics Will Help Your Next Event

CTCT Employee

You spend time and money promoting your events, but you’re not sure which channels are actually driving attendance to those events. How can you know how effective your online marketing efforts are in delivering traffic to your event site? Now there is a way: We’ve added Google Analytics to our Event Marketing product.

If you don't know, Google Analytics is a free web-based analytics technology that can provide you with rich insights into who is visiting your website, event site, or blog. The data from Google Analytics can help you to evaluate what sources (search engines, Facebook/Twitter, other websites, etc.) are driving traffic your way so you know what’s working and not working. Your primary goal with Google Analytics will be to make sense of all of this inbound traffic in order to maximize your online marketing efforts.

How you can use the results

When I host an event, I promote it using my email newsletter and by posting a link to my Facebook Page. From my email newsletter, I typically achieve very high open rates (30%–40%). Because email marketing does such a great job in terms of reporting, I just assumed that most of my traffic was coming from my emails. I was wrong! As it turns out, more than 50% of the traffic to my event site came from Facebook.

Based on my experience, here are some suggestions to help you turn your Google Analytics results into actionable intelligence.

• I had no idea that my audience is spread across 10 different states. Within my local state, the distribution is quite wide as well. You will see these results using the Google Analytics' map overlay. If your audience is widely distributed geographically, and as a result, some of the invited guests will need to travel to your event, I would recommend promoting your events in advance by an additional few weeks.

• Google Analytics provides you with a metric called Bounce Rates. Bounce rates help you determine the percentage of people who come to your site but never click through to the next step. You can think of this metric as a measure of visitor quality. For my first event using Google Analytics, the bounce rate was 60%. This means that 60% of all traffic would visit my event homepage, but would never take the next step to register. To solve the problem, I added a “Register Now” button to the top and bottom of my event homepage. This gave my audience an obvious visual clue about the next steps I wanted them to take, which increased registrations and decreased bounce rates.

• Google Analytics also provides you with a metric called Referring Sites. If people are reaching your event site directly from your website, or via your email newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, or somewhere else, this metric will provide you with those details. I was stunned to see that more than 50% of my audience was reaching my event homepage from Facebook. Clearly, I needed to put more effort into my Facebook Page, because it's an important asset when it comes to my event promotion.

As you start to look through your Google Analytics data, it’s important to be patient and give yourself time to play around with the various results. There will be many ways to view this data. Google Analytics is a robust tool that can provide you with invaluable information about how well your online marketing initiatives are impacting your events.

Till next time ...

Are you using Google Analytics to improve your event marketing efforts? Share your thoughts with us here or on our Facebook Page.

Erik_Mintz

Erik Mintz, Director of the Constant Contact Event Marketing product has been with Constant Contact since May 2008. He has more than a decade of experience in the event management industry. Erik's small company was acquired by Constant Contact and missioned to develop their Event Marketing product from the ground up. His responsibilities include thought leadership in the event marketing industry, product strategy and business development. Erik holds a Masters degree in Engineering from Florida Atlantic University.

5 Comments
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Its great to hear that CC is integrated with Google Analytics, Our custom depends lots of time on GA.  What about Email Marketing product? Is this integrated with Google Analytics 

Please let us know.

SB Team.

Nicole Twohig
Not applicable

We are also very interested in learning if CC has integrated Email Marketing with Google Analytics. Being able to use Google's link tagging code will be invaluable as we move forward.

Please do give us all an update when you have a moment.

Thanks!

The Marketing Partners Team

All Star

We are also quite interested to know if Google Analytics has been integrated with Email Marketing, or will be in the coming months. Having the ability to use Google's link tagging code moving forward will be critical to our work. 

Please provide an update to this question at your earliest convenience as I'm sure many are wondering the same thing.

Thank you,

The MPI Team

CTCT Employee

I am excited to see this level of interest for Google Analytics within our Email Marketing product!  I have good news - we are currently working on a Google Analytics integration that will allow you to easily updates your links with one click to include Google Analytics tracking code.  We are planning to release the feature in early 2012.  Stay tuned!  

Mike Karampalas

Product Manager

Constant Contact

Not applicable

Google Analytics is a big part of my marketing campaign especially the bounce rate. All businesses should be using some form of tracking when it comes to advertising remember the old saying. If you cannot track your results don't do it