cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Tips to Make Your Email Marketing Holiday-Ready

CTCT Employee

Anyone who knows me well knows I’m a shopper. I’d rather spend a Sunday afternoon at a Sephora looking through hundreds of nail polish samples than go on a nature hike. But when the holidays roll around, this diehard shopper looks for any excuse to avoid the parking lot traffic, long lines, and anxious customers.

The holidays are stressful. And as consumers, we’re all looking for ways to get everything done quickly and easily. That’s where you — small businesses — can help. Email marketing is a great way to arm holiday shoppers with all the tools they need to tackle their seasonal to-do lists.

Here are 5 things you can add to your email content to drive customers to your door during the holidays:

1.       Offer an incentive

Sometimes a benefit — even something small — can be the one thing that convinces someone to purchase from you. In a recent survey by Lab42, 32% of holiday shoppers said if a retailer offered free shipping, they’d be more likely to buy from them. They’re also looking for sales and coupons, so consider including these offers in your holiday emails as well.

2.       Go social

Facebook has 800 million users, and 34% of them follow and interact with their favorite brands, according to a study we recently did with Chadwick Martin Bailey. Catch your fans while they're online — share your email marketing campaigns and your holiday deals on your Facebook Page. Give them a break from the stress with something fun: holiday photo contests, questions, or polls. Share the results of those contests and polls in your emails. Your fans might also recommend you to their friends — according to our study, 56% of people are more likely to share info about their favorite brands with their networks.

3.       Share your reviews

Buyers want to know they’re not wasting their hard-earned money, so they often turn to reviews to find the best bang for their buck. Why not save them time and send them the research? Include customer reviews in your emails; if you’re promoting a product, include the 5 star gotta-have-it reviews in the description. Provide links to those reviews on your website and make it easy for customers to get the inside scoop from their peers.

4.       Make a suggestion

There are two common problems most shoppers face with their holiday gift list: Making those purchases on time, and finding gifts for those impossible-to-buy-for loved ones. Help your customers solve both of those problems by offering suggestions in your emails. Tell them what products are the season’s must-haves, and showcase gifts for different interests or age groups.

5.       Think mobile

Asymco Interactive estimated that by the end of this year, half of the mobile phones in use will be smartphones. Make sure you’re including links to your products on mobile-friendly sites in your promotional emails because customers are increasingly using mobile phones to look up information about your products while they're in the store, and to shop online. A few months ago, I was looking for a new camera. I had done my research online; I searched for cameras with the features I wanted and read customer reviews. I went to a store to see the camera in person and scanned a QR code that had more information — the camera was $20 cheaper on the store's website, so they gave me the discount. It comes down to this: Smarter phones are making us smarter shoppers. Consumers are willing to buy when they know your products — and the price — are right.

What are you doing to get ready for the holidays this year? Share your thoughts with us here or on our Facebook Page.

Azure_Collier

I'm the Social Media Marketing and Community Manager for Constant Contact. I spend most of my days creating and posting content on Constant Contact's social networks. The rest of the time, you'll find me online researching social media, email marketing and small business. And watching cat videos.

2 Comments
Travis Hand
Not applicable
I am new to Constant Contact. Are there any online classes I can take?
CTCT Employee

Hi Travis!

We have a lot of live webinars and recorded webinars you can check out on the website. The schedule is at http://www.constantcontact.com/learning-center/webinars/live/index.jsp. 

Join us anytime!

-Azure