cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonight (8/23) from 11:00 PM - 12:00AM ET we need to make a few updates to our site. During this time, no emails will be sent and some customers will not be able to access their contacts. We recommend finishing up your work before 11:00 PM and logging in after 12:00 AM ET. Thank you for your patience while we make these updates.

Why I Am Not Opening Your Email This Holiday Season

I get a lot of email and am not able to read or open every message, especially during the holiday season. And I think it’s a safe to say I am not alone. The emails I do open are ones that effectively catch my attention amid all the holiday clutter, and entice me.

More email means more competition for your small business or nonprofit, which means it is more important than ever to stand out and have a compelling reason for your audience to take the time to open and engage with your email. If you want me, or anybody else, to open your email messages during the inbox battle of 2011, make sure you to avoid these 3 too common mistakes:

1. Discount only.  Yes, subject lines with a discount offer typically achieve a higher open rate, and because of that many people promote that in their subject lines. But even if you're able to offer the highest discount, it will still get lost in the masses of percent-off and free shipping offers. Now, I am not saying don’t offer a discount. What I am saying is don’t only offer a discount. Be creative! Instead of saying “70% off,” try “A generous offer from...” That way you are piquing your audience’s curiosity and enticing them to open the email to see what the generous offer is.

Another creative way to incorporate a discount is by playing up the other benefits of your email. Try “Top 10 Last Minute Gifts, plus free shipping.” That way you are differentiating yourself from the masses by adding value to your email.

2. It’s all about you. This might be hard to hear, but email marketing is not all about you. It’s about the person you are sending to. When I am scrolling through the inbox, my first thought isn’t you or your organization. It’s me. Too often I see, “Please take our survey.” No! Why should I? Why should I waste my time filling out a survey for you? But, just a few changes can go along way. I’d be much more inclined to respond to a survey that said, “Please share your feedback to improve your experience.” Taking the time to see from your audience’s perspective will set you apart during the holidays and year round.

3. Too long. Your subject line needs to be less than 50 characters or it will get cut off, and it needs to be even shorter if you actually want your customers to read it. I know it’s difficult to keep subject lines succinct, but it’s necessary. Shorter subject lines outperform longer subject lines because people just don’t have the time to indulge your wordiness.

And let’s not forget our friends using smartphones. Smartphone inboxes rarely display more than 15 characters. According to MailerMailer’s Email Marketing Metrics Report, subject lines with only 4 to 15 characters generate the highest open rate. So when you are writing your next subject line, keep crammed inboxes and smartphone users in mind, and keep it short!

Getting your emails opened is an important first step in engaging your customers and maintaining a loyal customer base. Make sure to keep these three factors in mind and you’ll see great success!

What are your secrets for getting emails opened during the holiday season? Share them here or on our Facebook Page.

KatharineFarrell

4 Comments
Captain Purple
Not applicable

Thank you for tose helpful hints about sending an email during this holiday season

You're welcome! Getting your email opened is a very important first step and expecially difficult during this busy season. If you are still looking to learn more, Constant Contact offers a free Subject Line Design webinar: http://conta.cc/uQnqsg

OK, interesting observation about subject lines with only 5 characters -- to fit into smart phone screens -- Now about smart phones -- is there a way Constant Contact can re-configure an email to look great on a mobile device screen? I've heard that other email marketing vendors have this capability.  Is there a smart phone template available?

That is a great question! Constant Contact does not have templates created specifically for smart phones, but we do have a lot of templates that would work well on smart phones. I recommend the Basic Pack category. The template itself isn't as important as the best practices you apply within the body of your email. For example, a finger typically cover's 45 pixels. So when you add links to your email, you want to make sure to add 10-15 pixels of white space to make it easier for people to click. Also, be cognizant of images! If images are too large, they'll take a long time to load. And if they are too wide, your reader will have to scroll to see the entire image.

We cover these best practices and more in our Creating Marketing Emails webinar offered every Wednesday at 4:00pm EST. Check it out here: http://conta.cc/nziSSt