cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Quick Tips to Improve Your Email Newsletters

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

3 Quick Tips to Improve Your Email Newsletters

The Number Three.jpgAre you a consistent email marketer looking for new ways to spice up your newsletters? Are you open to trying some new ideas? Then read on for my best 3 tips you can use now to present your readers with something a little different the next time around.

As background on me, I've been using email marketing by Constant Contact for 3+ years now. I typically send out one newsletter a month and it's an informational newsletter. If you're not sure what I mean by Informational, check out this quick video on Email Engagement. You'll learn about the 3 types of email newsletters.

I enjoy on average a 30% open rate, which isn't a number for the record books, but it's respectable. Okay, enough about me, here are the 3 ideas for you.

Tip  #1: Embed video in your newsletter. In my last newsletter I inserted 3 videos! That's the most I've ever done. One of my regular readers told me how impresed he was by the amount of video content. Two of the videos were educational while one was promotional. Embedding videos right inline with your content breaks up your copy, creates visual interest, and gives you the opportunity to get more information across in less time. 

Also, keep in mind that some people are visual learners. They actually would prefer to watch a video versus read straight text. If you're intimidated by the work entailed to create a video you have a few simple options:

1. Use Camtasia and simply record your screen or a PowerPoint with your voice over a USB mic.

2. Use an HD webcam and record yourself in your office. My first forays in to video were really low budget and people still iked them. 

3. Record any live presentations you give and create snippets from them that make certain points. Write articles around those points. I did something like that with the first video in my last newsletter.

Tip #2 - Go to your social media analytics and see what is trending in the content you've shared. Then, write about it. I use Buffer and HootSuite to make my use of social media more efficient. Recently I took 20 minutes to go back through my last month of posts I issued through Buffer on to Twitter and LinkedIn.

What I saw was very interesting. There were clearly some posts that were more popular than others; and they weren't necessarily mine. For example, I shared an article on a recent court ruling in Virginia regarding a woman's comments placed about a contractor on Yelp. The case went all the way to the Supreme court and was being closely watched. This post got 8 click-throughs on LinkedIn and 11 on Twitter. For me these are good numbers.

What this tells me is that what happens to negative reviews on Yelp is an interesting topic to business people. I know that sounds like an obvious point, but think about what this means for your next newsletter. You could share this post, then write an article about it knowing that many are likely to want to read it and they'll possibly share it, too. Bottom line, look at what's trending and write about it.

Tip #3: Give something away to readers who actually read your content. At the end of the year I like to give out a few magazine subscriptions to some of my favorite business building magazines like Success and Inc. I tell readers somewhere in the body of my newsletter that they can get a free subscription, but they'll have to write me first to claim it. 

This achieves a few objectives:

1. It makes your newsletter funner to read

2. It makes people want to read your next one in case you do it again

3. It lets you know that people really are reading your newsletter and taking action, which feels good

Since you've read this post all the way to the end, I have a little something for you. No, not a free subscription, but a bonus tip! Always underpromise and overdeliver.

Tip #4: Create a theme based newsletter. Some time back I scoured the quotes of Henry Ford, a pioneer of American business. I found 3 or 4 choice quotes and made them the basis of original articles. This wasn't easy, but it felt like I was breaking new ground. I recall that a few people took notice and really liked the theme. It showed that I was creative and took great pleasure and pride in creating my newsletter. It wasn't jsut something slapped together to try to make a few bucks.

In the end that's what your readers will really appreciate is your creativity and willingness to stretch yourself. Let me know what you think of these ideas in the Comments and share some of your own. I'd love to try what tactics have worked for you.

Speak Well and Sell
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Re: 3 Quick Tips to Improve Your Email Newsletters

very interesting, i like this article, thanks.

You're welcome! I'm glad the article has stimulated some new thinking for you.

Speak Well and Sell
Regular Advisor

Thanks! We're always looking for new ideas. As popular as video is, we never really thought about putting it in the newsletter. 
Funny how sometimes the obvious things can escape you. We've got a Valentine's day push tomorrow and I'm going to make sure we include a video of a Singing Seal that we're having fun with. Thanks for the tips!

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com

Dear BuyGifts.com,

You're welcome! It's true that most newsletter creators don't think to drop a video in there to change things up. Your idea to place a video of a Singing Seal sounds hilarious and surely should get more attention than just the written word. Hope it works well for you!

Speak Well and Sell