cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Interview Questions Every Small Business Owner Should Ask

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

5 Interview Questions Every Small Business Owner Should Ask

Today I read an article on AMEX OPEN Forum about important questions that a Small Business should ask in an Interview.   With the holidays approaching and many getting right into hiring for the season, now is a great time to look at some important questions you should ask!

James Clear discusses how anyone can fool you in an interview for an hour, but how about 3 months down the road.  These are people who you want to “still be good in a few months”.  Here are a couple of the questions you need to ask!

1.  Give an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision

Small businesses are well, small. And it’s important to have an employee that will be able to make good decisions on behalf of your business and fast.

2.     Give an example of a time when you exceeded expectations

This really gives your interviewee an opportunity to brag about themselves.  You’ll know you have  a keeper by how they describe the situation and how they responded.

To read the other 3 interview questions ever small business owner should ask, click here.

• Are these the same questions you ask?
  • Are there other important questions that you need to ask before you hire someone?

1 REPLY 1
Contributing Solution Provider

Re: 5 Interview Questions Every Small Business Owner Should Ask

These are also excellent questions a prospective client should ask when approached by someone attempting to sell them a service. Most service companies and consultants will find greater success when they talk about how their specific experience can assist a client.

ie:

1. Give an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision that had a big impact on the results your client received.

2. Give a [specific/detailed] example of a time when you exceeded [your client's] expectations.

3. Convince me that you can adapt to a wide range of people, situations and environments - such as the various employees within the client's company or the suppliers that provide the products/services that support the results created for the client - and especially when situations don't work out as initially planned, or deadlines change, etc.

4. What have you done that demonstrates initiative and willingness to work? Besides the need for income, what about this company/prospective client makes you excited to work with them.

5. Why should we hire you? What's in it for the client? How much do you actually know about the organization, their target market, clients, goals and specifically how will you meet these goals better than anyone else. Too many solopreneurs target anyone and everyone, and many times end of with clients they don't enjoy working with.

In each of my marketing workshops I advise people to research their prospects before they make the approach or appointment. Who are the real decision makers? What can you find out about them? You will find what excites you about them, what you have in common and sometimes if they are successful enough to stay around long enough to pay you.

I have a unique first name, and without fail someone calls or writes me weekly and refers to me as "Mr. Sumner". I especially love those who call my office, ask for me and tell my assistant that "he" told me to call. These people never get my time or my business.

It's those people who show a genuine interest in my businesses and my goals that get my time and money.

Wishing you awesome and continuing success,

Sumner M. Davenport

Puzzle Master, Solutions Consultant
Niche Marketing Strategy, Solutions & Support for the solopreneurs; small and mid-sized companies.
Publisher, Author, Speaker

Solutions, not just answers.
One Size does NOT fit all.
Solutions to fit your niche, your business and your budget.