Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Ways to Be a Better Listener

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

5 Ways to Be a Better Listener

Entrepreneur.png

I know that life is distracting.  Even just now I was reading and responding to a tweet on Twitter as my coworker was trying to tell me something. I completely missed what he was saying because I was focused on something else. If this happens to you, here are 5 tips to make you become a better listener.

1. Open up your body language: Try to make eye-contact and nod to show that you’re interested. Also try not to cross your arms or put your hands in your pockets.
  2. Stay engaged: Zone out everything else and just focus on the individual.
  3. Resist the urge to interrupt: Even if you try to finish someone’s sentence because you want to show that you understand what they’re saying, they could find this to be rude. Try pausing a few seconds before you respond to ensure you are not going to interrupt them.
  4. Ask questions: Open-ended questions are best here and people are always happy to tell you more and will return the favor the next time you are talking with them.
  5. Practice empathetic listening: You don’t have to agree with what they’re saying, but try to imagine how you would feel if you were in their shoes.

What do you do that helps you be a better listener?  I know that I’m going to focus on some of these tips myself!

Read the full post here, "5 Ways to Be a Better Listener".

1 REPLY 1
Contributing Solution Provider

Re: 5 Ways to Be a Better Listener

Learn Re-evaluation Counseing.  http://rc.org - best information around becoming a better listener that I know of! 

Albert Kaufman - I am a master certified Constant Contact solution provider - here to help you make the most out of your account. Reach me @ albert@albertideation.com - here's to your success!