cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 ways to get more followers and more hearts on Periscope

Highlighted
Solution Provider

6 ways to get more followers and more hearts on Periscope

Periscope is a force to be reckoned with! Launched in March 2015, Periscope already has over 10 million accounts opened. If you are one of the 10 million you may be wondering, “How do I get more followers?” or “How can I gain more hearts?”

In my last blog post I talked to you about how you can get more comfortable in front of the camera. This month I am going to show you how to get more Periscope followers and more hearts by doing these 6 things:

1.    Have a topic

If you want people to watch you, you need to have something interesting to say. The most popular scopers on Periscope are those who have some kind of theme or topic to discuss when they go live. You do not have to be teaching either. As long as you are entertaining, educational, or interesting you should do great. The scopes that tend to fall to the fail side tend to be those that are completely random with no topic or theme whatsoever. That is not to say you can’t do a spontaneous scope and have it be a success. What I am telling you is to avoid the “I am bored, so I thought I would broadcast” scopes. People do not really want to be bored with you and with 10 million other accounts to contend with, it is best to bring it every time.

post-48266-its-already-been-broughten-gif-hyKF.gif

2.    Scope regularly

Each scope only last for 24 hours then it is gone. If someone comes to your account and notices you do not have any live replays to watch they may never know how awesome you are and how entertaining your scopes are. This is one of the many arguments for scoping everyday. Full disclosure: I do not scope everyday. I personally do not have time to do that. However, when I did scope everyday I was building my fan base and my heart count in record time. If you can find the time to scope every day (it really only takes 5 minutes to do a scope) more power to you. The more you scope, the more attention you will draw. The more people will see your value and the more followers you will get. Honestly, if your goal is more followers and more hearts you really should challenge yourself to scope everyday for a month. You will be amazed at what happens! Need some scope inspiration? Check back next month when I post my list of scope topics and inspiration for you to try out for yourself!

3.    Promote your upcoming scopes via other social networks and email

If you have a BIG topic you will be talking about or something you think would be of high value to your connections you may consider promoting your scope before you go live. Every Time I have pre-promoted a scope I have a record number of people who come and watch live. In fact I have done two scopes this summer covering “how to make it as a social media manager” and had over 200 people in the room live watching and hearting me up. I promoted these scopes via Facebook events, Facebook posts, Email blast to my subscribers, Tweets and twitter, post on Instagram and various other places. I only started promoting a couple of days before I went live but it was such a success I had to do the event twice because of the demand. A little pre-promotion goes a long way.

4.    Promote and share your replay links (You have 24 hours)

Don’t think that after you are done with your live scope you should stop promoting it. Keep in mind that you have 24 hours to share out the replay to your online connections. You can grab the link on your personalized Periscope page by going to www.Periscope.tv/YOURusername
Tweet it out, post about it on Facebook and let your subscribers know that your last post was so good they simply can’t miss the reply.

5.    Participate in promote your scopes, pass the casts, scope challenges etc. 

There are many opportunities to participate in activities that are built to help get yourself out there. One of the easiest and most popular is promote your scope. Many big names on Periscope host promote your scope several times per week as well as scoping groups. When you do a promote your scope you simply go into a live broadcast where they are hosting one and you tell people what you scope about. Look for other scopers that are interesting to you and follow them. I have personally gained a ton of targeted followers doing promote your scope.

I am also a BIG fan of pass the cast style promotion. Many periscope groups like Perigirls, BopoTribe, PeriDudes and even Pass the Talent do pass the cast. This is when you sign up with that group to participate and get into a lineup. The group will help promote your pass the cast and when it goes live everyone in the lineup takes turns telling about themselves and what they scope about. OR in the case of pass the talent, they pass the mic so to speak and share their talent. This is an awesome way to get a HUGE amount of new viewers which usually translates to hearts and followers.

6.    Engage with others.

One of the uber cool leadership ladies over at Perigirls shared this awesome tip with me and I think it is spot on (Thanks @WebEvie). It is all about engagement. Just like with any other social network you have to actually be social. Be sure you are going into other scopes and commenting, hearting and participating. Find people you enjoy watching and subscribe to them. Let people get to know you, by getting to know them.  
_5__Periscope_PeriGirls.png

If you apply these 6 principles to your scope strategy, in less than a month, you will see a dramatic growth in your followers and hearts not to mention more people will show up and watch you live and participate in your scopes. As always, practice makes perfect.

Kelly Mirabella
Social Media consultant, trainer and speaker
Stellar Media Marketing
kelly@stellar247.com
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Re: 6 ways to get more followers and more hearts on Periscope

Nice post. You have a great way of explain things in a very understandable way. Thanks