cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you or Should you leave Facebook?

Solution Provider

Are you or Should you leave Facebook?

We have been hearing a lot of outrage on the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica news.

There are some people and businesses considering leaving Facebook because they are upset at how their data was used and gathered.

On a side note, if you are interested in knowing what they know about you, check out this Facebook help link about Accessing your Facebook Data: https://www.facebook.com/help/405183566203254/

And now back to the issue at hand…

We can definitely understand the outrage, but can you leave Facebook’s audience, all 2.2 billion monthly active users?

One of the reasons Facebook is so great is the information they have about their users that allow companies to provide relevant content directly to customers and prospects.

So, what questions should you ask yourself before deciding to leave Facebook?

1. Who are my customers/followers and how will they feel if I left Facebook?
  2. How can I replace the advertising and promotion I get or pay for on Facebook?
  3. Where can I replace the interaction or conversations that happen with my audience on Facebook?
  4. Are you just leaving Facebook or are you planning to leave their entire network that includes Gowalla, Instagram, Lightbox.com, WhatsApp, tbh app and more?

Remember that social media is supposed to be about conversations and Facebook is a great platform for that despite the decline in online sharing, as reported in BuzzSumo’s Content Trends 2018 report.

If you decide to leave, you need to make sure you have a plan to have conversations with your clients and customers someplace else.

Another thing to keep in mind is that other sites gather information about you too. I don’t even want to think about what Google and Amazon know about me.

Whether you stay on Facebook or leave the site, be sure to:

1. Keep asking your clients and customers what social media platforms they are using. Start a presence on the other sites they are on, if you don’t have one already. Wikipedia has a pretty long list of social networking websites for you to check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites
  2. As a person and responsible business person, manage your settings and use the data you get responsibly. Be sure not to share information with 3rd parties unless your users give you direct permission.
  3. Be relevant and not creepy. When advertising, be sure to think about what your clients and customers think you know and what you really know. If you want more information on this, check out our other blog post, Do you want Free Eggs? on handling your customer’s information.

Finally, if you are looking to converse with your clients, realize that social media isn’t the only outlet. Be sure to consider email marketing, direct marketing, events and more.

And if you have any questions and concerns about what you are doing, we are always here to help. Don’t hesitate to reach out and ask.

Kendra Corman
Tags (2)
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!