cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Than Throwing Spaghetti at the Wall

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Better Than Throwing Spaghetti at the Wall

spaghetti head.jpgI regularly receive messages through LinkedIn and email with offers for this free webinar or that free content, all because this person and I are connected through a huge group, or they found my info on such-and-such a website…. And I delete the message every time, often without even skimming it.

Why? Because I have no relationship with these people. They are “cold-calling” me and many, many other people --- randomly throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping it sticks. It’s a pretty vague strategy and it generates a lot of misses. It can also generate a negative response and hurt their overall brand image when they’re reaching out to people as though they have a connection when, really, they don’t.

What is a better way of doing this? In your own marketing, how can you connect with someone and increase the likelihood – nay, guarantee – that they will read your email or open your LinkedIn message, and welcome your content with interest and curiosity?

1. Get to know them, rather than pretending you do. Express interest in them – their work, their issues, their successes – and in the process, they will get to know you.
  2. Invite them and ask their permission, rather than throwing your content at them and hoping it sticks. Not just, “Can I add you to my email list” but even a more engaging, “Based on what we’ve discussed, I think you’ll find the content useful. In fact, you’ve given me some things to think about and I may write about it this month. Keep an eye out!”

Recipients of your message are more likely to open your message and read it if they (1) know who you are and (2) expect the message. Why? It’s human nature. We talk with, listen to, connect with and buy from people we know and trust. Not companies – people.

So when you reach out, reach out as a person, and do things that will help them know and trust you.

How?

• Introduce yourself and ask questions so you get to know them a bit.
  • Save time and effort on both your parts by confirming that they are in fact someone who might find you content and offerings useful.
  • Then ask them if you can send them something, while relating it to them, their business, and their needs.

Building a relationship of trust and understanding will result in them noticing your message, clicking on it and actually reading it and possibly even taking the action that you ask them for. This does take a little bit more time than just pelting the world with your content, but the long-term impact for you, your business and your customers’ success is much, much better.

Suzan Czajkowski
TheCommCoach
http://TheCommCoach.com

Find me on Twitter: @The_CommCoach
2 REPLIES 2
Occasional Visitor

Re: Better Than Throwing Spaghetti at the Wall

GREAT content, thank you, Suzan!

The question that occurs to me is, that is the best plan, so in the meantime while I wait for the one or two industry association events where I see these prospective customers, should I not also throw some spaghetti?  I can only talk to so many of them in 2-3 day events...maybe I can have 20 quality conversations...that is a lot, but it's not a large enough marketing pipeline...

Please share your thoughts!!!

-Ivan

Participating Solution Provider

Re: Better Than Throwing Spaghetti at the Wall

Hi Ivan -

I'm glad you found the "spaghetti" reference useful! Let's step out of the analogy a bit and see how this looks...

I'm basically saying: Don't cold-call people and try to sell them right off the bat

I hear you saying something like:

- How can I talk to these people without having to be face-to-face at an event?

- How can I increase the # of people I can meet at that event?

- Would some cold-calling help?

The spaghetti answer is: Reach out and send-them an offer. Maybe they'll buy!

The non-spaghetti answer is: Connect with them as people first and keep your offer off the table while you get to know them and give them a chance to get to know you.

So -- maybe you can find them through social media and build a relationship? Or maybe you do reach out directly, but only so that you can simply connect. Perhaps offer them some free, valuable content. And what's powerful about that is... the next time you're at an association event, you already know who they are and are simply "putting a face to a name" as you continue to build your relationship.

In short -- yes, absolutely connect with them. But don't try to sell them until you've built a relationship, and gained some trust and credibility.

Does that help?

:-)

Suzan

Suzan Czajkowski
TheCommCoach
http://TheCommCoach.com

Find me on Twitter: @The_CommCoach