cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happy Turkey Day! In recognition of Thanksgiving our Support office will be closed Thursday (11/23). We will be open Friday (11/24) for limited hours (10:00am - 6pm ET) and will be back to normal hours on Monday (11/27).

C# integration bulk insert and CSV files

Occasional Contributor

C# integration bulk insert and CSV files

What method do you use to allow commas in a field to be uploaded using the bulk upload activity from a file. 

I am using the "ContactstMultipartActivity" method and if a field has a comma in it, it push data to the next column. I tried placing "" around the field in the file but it didn't resolve the problem. 

Also, are excel files supported in the method above? I tried a couple of excel files, however, I get a message only 4 file types are supported, txt, cvs, xls and xlsx files. I tried 3 different spreadsheet formats in excel, with extensions xls and xlsx. 

Thank you.

2 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: C# integration bulk insert and CSV files

Hi @KarenO65  

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! I apologize for the experience you've had with adding contacts to your account.  Uploading your contacts in bulk through a file can definitely help save time. Contact files that can be uploaded directly into Constant Contact include spreadsheet (XLS, XLSX, CSV) files, vCard Files (VCF), or text files. Here is a link to our guide for making sure every file you are trying to upload is formatted correctly.

If your contact details (for example their First Name and Last Name) are combined in one column, placing a comma in between them will not separate it through an upload. This information would have to be split into multiple columns before uploading. Every contact in your spreadsheet should have its own row, with each column set to one specific detail. 

If you are still unable to upload your file once these changes have been made please send us an email and we can troubleshoot this further for you. You can email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, a reference to this post, and the file you are trying to upload.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Contributor

Re: C# integration bulk insert and CSV files

Hi,

The issue is that the data in columns from our database sometimes contains data. For example, some times a phone field will have a the number as 800-888-8888, 23. Some people will use a , to separate the extension from the number. Or a company name will have a comma in the field example Greg and Sons, Inc. In these two examples, is there a way to use an escape code in C# that would allow me to replace the comma in the string to another value, that would not separate the information in another column. I am writing an integration project in C# using your CTCT wrapper project to assist in the development.

Greg

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!
Loading script asynchronously