cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

CASL Questions

Highlighted

CASL Questions

As the Canadian Anti-Spam Law quickly approaches, I have a couple of questions about the best way to tackle it. 

My contacts have all signed up in-store or with the online email list signup page. 

Do I need our recipients to re-subscribe for our weekly newsletter? If so, what's the best way to allow them to maintain their subscription? 

Thanks very much!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: CASL Questions

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting. We're working on getting more information made public to you by the July 1st date but for now here's what I can help with.

First, a quick overview for anyone else reading this. As of July 1, 2014, CASL will require businesses to obtain express “opt-in” consent to send commercial electronic messages (CEMs), including emails and certain types of social media messages for any emails going to or from a Canadian email address. This is intended to protect electronic commerce in Canada, deter damaging and deceptive forms of spam, such as identity theft, phishing and spyware, and drive out spammers.

Your contacts do not need to resubscribe but there are actions you may need to take.

For contacts you collect AFTER July 1st, 2014 you will need to gain express consent from them. If you are using a Constant Contact sign up form we're planning on adding text to the form, so that all of our customers will comply with this new legislation. If you use any other sign up method you will need to add CASL language to all sign up forms and documents. This may include adding permission reminders to your emails, or sending something like a confirmed opt in email.

For your current contacts you will need to determine if your current collection method gathers the contacts with express consent or implied consent. For any contact with implied consent you have until July 1st, 2017 to convert their interests to express consent.

As mentioned, we're working on getting information made public in our FAQs and training materials. We'll be sure to point those out to you as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Visitor

Will it be possible for Constant Contact to add the confirmed opt in option for users to add to an e-mail? Or a way to send out the confiration e-mail just to the e-mail addresses added after July 1st?

Will there be a way to track e-mail addresses to make sure that any used after July 1st, 2017 are only those that have express consent?

Honored Contributor

Hi @SooMill 

Thanks for your questions!

"Will it be possible for Constant Contact to add the confirmed opt in option for users to add to an e-mail? Or a way to send out the confiration e-mail just to the e-mail addresses added after July 1st?" - You can set up the Confirmed Opt-In as we have it set up now within your account.  This will require that new subscribers confirm their interest.You can also send the Confirmed Opt-In to select contacts after 7/1, but you would not be able to send those contacts the COI again, but would be able to send to newly added contacts.

"Will there be a way to track e-mail addresses to make sure that any used after July 1st, 2017 are only those that have express consent?" - Yes, we will have tracking setup by then.

For immediate response, you can contact our Account Review team at 1-866-433-8499.

Hope that helps!

Occasional Visitor

With regards to implied or express consent, we have our current list and intend to send out an email seeking express consent. The list we have constructed is from existing clients so there is implied consent nevertheless. The question is when we send out an email seeking express consent, how will we be able to distinguish in our current list as to who has provided express consent and who hasn't if they haven't removed themselves?  

Honored Contributor

Hi @RonT14337 

Those are some great questions and I want you to get the best information. Could you please give our CASL experts a call at 1-866-433-8499?  They'll be able to assist you!

How do I send the Update Your Profile Email?

Good morning - I have edited the 'Update Your Profile' email that I found in the Sign-Up Tools to work for my CASL compliance request.

It's ready to send but I cannot figure out how to send it? Please help.

Re: How do I send the Update Your Profile Email?

Hi Nicole,

Unfortunately this isn't an email you can directly send from the account. Instead, its an email your contacts have to trigger on their own. Can you check out this FAQ on how to encourage contacts to update their information?

If you have CASL specific questions please reach out directly to the team handling this, 1-866-433-8499.

Thanks!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Visitor

I am in the process of setting up an email to be sent to our subscribers to ask them to update their profile.

I would like to add the link "Update Profile/Emai Address", found in the footer of every email sent out, in the body of the email.

I want it to be prominent and in a box so they can see it easily and do the changes in anticipation of July 1st.

Where can I find the code for this link?

Thanks.

CTCT Employee

Hi Marisa!

I can definitely help out with this. If you'd like to create an email specifically for updating your profile, check out this great FAQ for a step by step guide. Since you mentioned July 1st, I imagine you are doing this to comply with CASL. If you have further questions I would call into our Account Review team. They are properly trained and equipped to help you make sure that you are doing everything correctly to comply with CASL. You can reach them at: 1-866-433-8499

Melissa M
Community and Social Support Intern

If you find my post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"