cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Cool Tools - Jing

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Cool Tools - Jing

Cool Tools: Jing by Techsmith

Free download: https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Have you ever needed to capture a small part of your computer screen and didn’t have a way to do it?  What about that elusive client logo that only exists on their website and you need it for a presentation?  What do you do?  I’ve found an answer. It’s in the form of an online tool called Jing.

Jing comes from the TechSmith family of online tools.  If you’re not familiar with TechSmith you may be familiar with some of their tools like Camtasia (my favorite), Snagit, Coach’s Eye, or Screencast. Their products are outstanding.  Jing is a bit different than the other tools.  Jing is missing something that is common to the rest of TechSmith’s army of tools; a price tag.  

Jing_Logo.png

Below is more information about Jing and my personal “how-to” video to get you started with Jing.  If you’ve ever seen a yellow half sun at the top of someone’s PC screen, you’ve found someone who uses Jing. Jing is a free tool that does great captures.  You can capture, then copy or save an image of anything you see on your computer screen. It allows you to do a small screen capture rather than having to capture the entire screen (PrtSc). Jing is a great way to do a quick screen capture of logos, pictures, or smaller pieces of information that you may want to post as a graphic or save it for later.

Jing_Full_On_Sunshine.png

Jing is one of the easiest tools I’ve found to perform screen captures.  After you capture  part of your computer screen with Jing, you have the option of copying it, so you can paste it directly into a document or Power Point slide, or save it for later to use in email marketing, event notifications, etc.   Jing files can easily be imported into Constant Contact for use with one their many tools.

After you’ve downloaded and installed Jing you’ll see your yellow sunshine at the top of your screen.  To use Jing roll your mouse over the top of the half sun.  Several “rays” of sunshine will show themselves with circles at the end of the “rays.” 

The circles are your menus.  The far left circle with the plus sign is image “capture,” the middle circle is “history” and the far Jing_Sunshine_at__the_Top_of_the_Screen.pngright circle is “more” (Feedback, Preferences, Help and Logout).  Jing also makes it easy to create 5 minute or less screen capture videos.  This length is a perfect amount of time to record a successful how-to video.  Jing’s videos are saved as .swf (Shock Wave) files so you’ll have to make sure you have a video player that will play .swf files or use a conversion tool like Camtasia to convert it to an mp4 file. 

It’s very easy to use.  I’ve never had to get help, but just in case you might need to get to the next level, Jing offers free step by step tutorials. If you’ve ever needed to do a screen capture, this is an easy, simple way to do it. 

Below is my how-to video to walk you through Jing.  It’s a little over 6 minutes long (it’s not a Jing video, it’s Camtasia).  Enjoy.

(view in My Videos)

See it on YouTube too.

How to use Jing (v) 

Go forth and be prosperous!

Mike Bitter, Founder and CEO

Affordable Social Media, Inc.

mike@asmomaha.com 

Mike Bitter
(402) 216-8126
2 REPLIES 2
Occasional Visitor

Re: Cool Tools - Jing

Very nicetool!  Thanks for the info.

Participating Solution Provider

Re: Cool Tools - Jing

Penny54,

You are very welcome.  There are so many tools that I use on a daily basis so I'm starting to roll them out here so others can use them as well.  Thank you for reading my post.  Have a great day. 

Mike. 

Mike Bitter
(402) 216-8126