cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, our Support Centers will be open with limited hours on Monday (1/20) from 10AM ET to 6PM ET.
Visit our Help Center to see all of the ways you can find answers to your questions.

Email Marketing is Not Dead. But It’s Likely that You’re Not Using it to It’s Full Potential.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Email Marketing is Not Dead. But It’s Likely that You’re Not Using it to It’s Full Potential.

Someone said email marketing was dead. 

Honestly, I completely beg to differ, for a lot of reasons.  I won’t waste time with my opinions, though, and instead will offer you facts such as these:

• 91% of consumers check their email daily
  • 74% of consumers prefer to receive commercial communications via email 
  • 66% of consumers have made a purchase online as a result of an email marketing message
  • Email marketing has an ROI of 4,300%
  • (see more statistics at Hubspot)

Pretty solid statistics that are hard to ignore, right?

If you’re reading this, you probably are either (a) using email marketing now but feel like you’re not getting all you can out of it, or (b) you’ve got an inkling that you should be using email marketing for your business but have never gotten it off the ground.

Today, I’m going to dish out some advice for those of you in group A.  First, congratulations on using email marketing to promote your business.  Second, here are my top two pieces of advice for how to easily revitalize your email marketing.

Know Your Metrics:  I always emphasize to my clients that the key to the success of your marketing is to know how successful it actually is.  So, you’ve got to keep tabs on results and metrics and analyze them.  There’s a world of information in those metrics.

For email marketing, there’s a world of information in the metrics and they can easily help you improve your marketing just by seeing what gets results and what doesn’t.  These are the three most important metrics that you should be paying attention to (if you are using Constant Contact, all of this information is available to you).

• Open rate: How many people opened that email you sent them?  Look at this number and compare one email to the next to see what’s working and what isn’t.  Want to know how you compare to the averages for your industry? Compare here.
  • Click-through rate: How many times did your subscribers click the links you’ve included in your email and which links did they click?  Use these numbers to test your calls-to-action.  Try out different wording and colors, etc. to see what people respond to.
  • Bounce rate:  This number will tell you how many of those emails never made it to the inbox.  A high bounce rate most likely means that you need to clean up your lists.

Polish Your Lists:  In email marketing, quality is truly much more important than quantity.  A quality list means better results, fewer unhappy subscribers, and often, lower costs.  So, take the time to polish your lists by doing the following:

• Clean out all email addresses that your email marketing service has deemed undeliverable: they’re just in the way and not getting to anyone anyway.
  • Manually sift through addresses: remove the bad addresses manually, taking out duplicates and emails that are improperly formatted.
  • Consider sending a segmented campaign to the addresses that don’t read your emails: ask them if they’d still like to hear from you and if so, what would they like to hear about.  If you don’t hear back from them, take them off.

Photo courtesy of David Joyce

2597109669_d8b0b519e9_b.jpg
Tags (1)