cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethics and the Golden Rule

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Ethics and the Golden Rule

I've lived a long life and have seen the decline in morals over the years. It's noticable in business too. There are a lot of people that have a business model of walking on others to get where they're going. Apparently they've taken this "dog eat dog" thing a little too far and forgotten the value of honesty and good old-fashioned ethics. You don't have to be a religious person to be a moral one. You just need to understand the Golden Rule. Ask yourself, "How do I want people to treat me in business?" If your answer is, "With respect, fairness and honesty" than treat your customers/competitors/employees/associates that way and you're well on your way to finding happiness. Notice I didn't use the word, "success". There are many successful people out there that have found money, but not happiness. 

I can give an example. Recently, I was at a tradeshow and someone was at a vendor's booth preparing to buy their service. The owner of the organization didn't have change so I pulled out a $10 and gave it to him. I told him to just mail it to me when he gets a chance and handed him my card. The man didn't even say thank you. He just handed the $10 bill to his customer and went on about his business. About a month later, I e-mailed him to remind him of repayment. He didn't reply. A couple of weeks later, I e-mailed him again. He still didn't reply. Finally, I called him and reminded him who I was and why I was calling. He had a very cold manner and still didn't seem grateful but rather annoyed. He just said something along the lines of "I'll send it to you." Still, no "thank you" or acknowledgement of helping him out. Then he replied to the e-mail that I sent prior and said, "There is no address to send it to." Again, not one "thank you". I gave him my address (again) and he finally mailed it. When it arrived, there was just a check. No "thank you" or anything. 

Beyond anger, I felt sorry for this man. Nobody that treats someone this way could be happy inside. Yet, he probably had money. It was an established organization which appeared to have numerous registered parties.

Fellow business owners large and small... treat other people the way you wish to be treated. Let's start turning this country back around to a more kind, considerate and grateful nation. Let's help each other more, think about others more and work not just for money and selfish interests but for the betterment of the whole. Don't leave ethics and the Golden Rule out of your business model. Do your best to treat others the way that you wish to be treated. 

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com
2 REPLIES 2
Honored Contributor

Re: Ethics and the Golden Rule

Great post!

Thanks for sharing!

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Regular Advisor

Re: Ethics and the Golden Rule

Thank you Jarrad. 

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com