cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Facebook Ads...What Do You Think of Them?

Honored Contributor

Facebook Ads...What Do You Think of Them?

emarketer logo.jpg

According to eMarketer, "83% of Facebook users say they rarely or never lcick on Facebook ads or sponsored content".  Do you?  I know I never do. It has been ingrained in me to never click anything anywhere unless you know AND trust the source.  Not that I don't trust Facebook, but well, I guess I don't. I know that if I see sponsored content that looks interesting, I'll do a Google Search on them or a search in Facebook. 

• Let us know what you do when you see an ad on Facebook?
  • Do you run ads on Facebook for your business?

Check out the full article here "Is There a Problem with Facebook Ads".

10 REPLIES 10
Regular Advisor

Re: Facebook Ads...What Do You Think of Them?

I never click on them. I've got a hunch why the stats are showing what they are though. When people go on Google to do a search, they are actively looking for something. So, maybe that's why Adwords has been effective for them through the years. But, people don't go to Facebook to search for something. They go there to socialize. So, unless something hits them in just the right way (which must be extremely challenging for an advertiser), I think they just block out the ads. 

We've got many sites that we test market for user interaction and we've noticed something similar. While content seems to be something that is favored when you want to sell advertising, it isn't just about the content. It has to also be about the entire website. Why are the people there? What are they doing? Where is their head? What is the theme, or is there a theme? Facebook doesn't even have a niche. It's wide open. So that makes it that much harder for an advertiser to target a focused group. 

The recent pull-out of GE shocked the world. It's a testament to the fact that things aren't always what they appear. I like Facebook and use it quite a bit but it should be interesting to see where it goes from here and how they sustain themselves.

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com
Regular Advisor

As an added note to this topic, FB just installed their "Promote" feature on the pages and I couldn't help but wonder if they dampened the exposure ratio for the posts so that a business owner would feel more inclined to "need" the new paid service. 

Boy, I'm getting cynical in my old age! :smileyvery-happy:

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com
Honored Contributor

You know what Mike?  I was looking at my NutshellMail the other day and I saw that I had all these posts from brands that displayed, but when I went to my wall, I didn't see those.  I'm wondering the same thing. Like NutshellMail picks it up but they're stopping it from displaying in my NewsFeed.

Anyone else noticed a decline in the brands you follow in your NewsFeed?

Most of the time Facebook Ads don't work, yet sometimes... they do!

We have run a few Facebook Ads campaigns ourselves and have also exchanged information with other businesses who did the same thing. The conclusion we reached is that most of the time Facebook ads don't work, with a few exceptions, though. The ads worked great for promoting a vacation destination, for example. I agree with previous replys, people's mindset on Facebook is very different than Google. Yet, there seems to be a few areas where people's attention gets grabbed and, with the right message, encouraged to perform an action (like a page, visit a website, etc).

Occasional Contributor

When I advertised directly with Facebook and used a video, I got over 2000 clicks the first day!  It was significantly more than my picture ads.

Then I made the mistake with that video of apparently including controversial content, and even though the content was absolutely true, important and beneficial for people to know, I got enough complaints (probably from those I was blowing hte whistle on), that they banned me for LIFE! No warning, no second chance! POOF! GONE! 

So I would recommend using a "feel-good" video, with nothing controversial, and including a compelling free offer.

I hope that helps!

Warmly,

Carol

Highlighted

I think they are the best at the moment.

Occasional Visitor

I believe you need to know your audience and what you are trying to sell.  We have had good success in our venue (real estate) when our posts take the soft sell approach.  Give helpful tips and information and less about trying to push our service on people.  We use it as a tool to keep ourselves on the community's radar.  Much less expensive than mailings and cover a broader area.  We also use Constant Contact for our client base and any who sign up from our website.  No one marketing venue is the be all and end all.

All Star

I have the same reaction you do....I don't click on something I am unsure of....I research first.  I have tried to advertise a few times but can't say I have noticed an increase in anything but questionable emails and contacts.

Visitor

I have run two facebook ads on Constant Contact, yet I can't get my reports, so I don't have any idea how it is working.  Anyone have suggestions?