The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Facebook v Website

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Facebook v Website

I recently heard about a director of a small business support center discussing the concept of businesses using just Facebook for their business, and not bothering with a website. Her suggestion to business owners: if you’re too busy {or broke, or uninformed, or whatever…} to invest in a website, just use Facebook. It’ll be fine.

This just amazes me. A trusted business advisor telling business owners to not worry about a website, but to use Facebook instead. I can’t really wrap my head around that concept! This is so not good advice, and here are just a few reasons why.

Ownership. Who owns Facebook? Mark Zuckerberg and the stockholders, that’s who. Like all the other social media sites, they’re owned by the corporation and stockholders, not the everyday users/tweeters/profiles/pages . . . If Facebook were to vanish today, and that’s the only online presence a business has, what happens to that business next?

Who owns a Website? The business. The business owns the URL, the content, the images, everything that sits on the website. A well-maintained website will stand the test of time.

website image.png

Credibility. I like to refer to Facebook as the “granddaddy” of social media. It is the most popular website in the world, and a business is smart to have a presence there. Many times a business owner will be asked, “Are you on Facebook?” And they really should be, since it’s such an easy place to engage with the public and share instant updates. But it shouldn’t stop there

Today’s consumers expect companies to have websites. They trust a business more if it has a website. When I ask a business owner, “What’s your website address?” and they reply they don’t have one, they lose a certain amount of credibility with me. Is the business owner not willing to make a small investment into the business to have a formal online presence—even if it’s a one-page website or blogspot? Where do I go to learn more about their business? And what about SEO??

fb image.png

Reputation Management. Depending on the type of set-up, some Facebook business pages offer the ability for the community to review and rate the business. This can be a great tool—assuming the public has the right page. I work with a company who has a variation of a popular name, and they regularly received negative reviews and feedback from customers of “the other company.” These folks were obviously not happy with their service and were not willing to remove the incorrectly placed reviews. They just wanted to be heard. The CEO decided to remove the option of allowing reviews on their page, which also prevented happy customers from reviewing.

Because a website is owned by the business, they have complete control of what reviews and ratings are placed on their website. The business controls what content and feedback is posted, not the public. And while this may not allow for negative experiences to be addressed, it does allow the business to shine in the best possible light.

In conclusion, business owners have many aspects to consider when making the decision to rely solely on Facebook, or to use it as a complement to their website and other digital marketing efforts.

website image.png
Cheers!
Melanie Diehl
Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured