cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Friday Blog Post: Are you asking for the Email?

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

First Friday Blog Post: Are you asking for the Email?

Sign Up for Emails Ellen McDowell Your Social Butterfly.png"Can I add you to my email list?"  

I hate to admit that even as a Constant Contact solution provider who gives presentations on email marketing I forget to ask every single person I come across if I can add them to my email list.  I kick myself when I forget; asking that question is the essential way to grow any email list.  

What are some of the tools I recommend to you so you remember to "ask for the email"?

For clients that use a form to record contact information for their clients, I make sure we add a check box for the sales person that reminds them to specifically confirm that they have asked to be added to our email list.  The visual reminder is good for the sales person to ask for the email and to tell the client the benefits of receiving your marketing emails; additionally the check box  on the form is a record of permission given (or denied so the email won't be added without the permission). With the new CASL act in Canada and CAN-SPAM here in the US, this is extremely important.

I also have iCapture installed on my tablet.  Before I attend an event, I make sure I have the tablet charged so I can type the emails into the form while I am talking with someone and won't have to remember later to separate out the cards for those that want my awesome emails to have them added to my list.  I think using the tablet helps as well to show that I am familiar with the latest technology.  

What happens if the tablet isn't charged?  Yes - it happens to the best of us.  I go with the old fashioned method of asking when I get someones' business card and note on the card who I can add to my email list (or fold the corner).  The key with this method is to make it part of your process after a meeting to go through any cards you collected and make notes of who wanted more information and gave the permission to be added to my Constant Contact emails.  

Whatever your process - the key is to keep asking every potential client (or someone who might refer a new client) if you can add their email to your email list.  Look at our Constant Contact Events Calendar this month  - chances are somewhere near you one of our presenters will have a seminar on "60 Ways to Grow Your List" with even more tips.  I hope you can make one.

Do you have any tips to share on how you grow your list?  How do you remember to ask?  Add your thoughts below.  

And by the way, can I add you to my email list?  

Ellen McDowell
Ellen McDowell - Your Social Butterfly
Master Certified Solution Provider
2 REPLIES 2
Visitor

Re: First Friday Blog Post: Are you asking for the Email?

Great article and great ideas! Thank you!

Participating Solution Provider

Re: First Friday Blog Post: Are you asking for the Email?

Thanks Lynn - hope you can use a few of the ideas and will follow my monthly posts. 

Ellen McDowell
Ellen McDowell - Your Social Butterfly
Master Certified Solution Provider