How Networking Changed My Business

Highlighted
Solution Provider

How Networking Changed My Business

I’ll admit it, I was always more than a little shy. The one who would rather read a book than talk to a stranger… Several years of working as an outside sales rep helped me get over a lot of that. Having something to sell gave me talking points which helped me know what to say when words would have otherwise failed me.

When I started my marketing company nearly five years ago, I once again found myself in a sales role of sorts. I had to sell my services, and I certainly had my talking points… but I didn’t have a prospect list the way that I had when I was an account executive. Sure, I had more former clients and random businesses that I had relationships with — which was great for the first couple of years — but I needed to increase my prospect pool.

I was invited to join a networking and referral group. I quickly learned that it’s not just about being in a group, it’s about being in the right group. This group was NOT the right group. I stuck it out for the year that I paid for, then I dropped out. This time, I made sure that I spent some time finding the right group and I auditioned several groups, auditing their meetings and talking with their members. It was really worth the time and effort of finding the right group.

Getting involved with a dynamic group of folks who own small to medium sized businesses (my target) with a few sales and management level folks mixed in, has been the perfect fit for me. Not only have I built relationships with the folks who have trusted me with their marketing, but I have a great network of businesses that I feel confident recommending to others. And, for me, that’s equally important. I want to know that the businesses I recommend do business the same way I do business — because they are a reflection on my brand when I’ve recommend them.

My business has grown tremendously over the past two years — in fact, revenue has increased nearly 400% — and I credit a lot of the new opportunities to the relationships that I’ve built through the networking and referral group that I carefully selected. I’ve learned that it’s just as important to interview a networking & referral group as it is to interview prospective clients… I always view my first client meeting like a date where we are getting to know one another to see if we want to go steady and now, I view networking groups the same way.

Anne-Marie Farrow
Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured