Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing's Missing Piece

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Marketing's Missing Piece

too much work.jpg

Work.  It can be a blessing, a curse, tiresome, invigorating, rewarding and the list goes on.  Our work is the second largest time suck of our day, right behind sleeping, according to the United States Bureau of Labor & Statistics. Even though other things in my life are a priority such as God, my family, working out and spending time with friends I still find that my work takes up more time than anything else. According to Forbes.com, when we work too much several negative side effects can occur such as a 40 to 80 percent greater chance of heart disease, poor eating habits, fatigue, lack of physical activity and an increase in the stress hormone cortisol. What does all of this have to do with marketing? I'm so glad you asked!  It has everything to do with marketing!

To create a highly effective marketing plan or campaign, you need several things. You need to be willing, a good listener, open, engaging, practical, understanding, patient and creative. That is just to name a few of the necessary traits needed to successfully put together a fabulous marketing message or campaign.  I believe that many of those things come from a well balanced, relaxed and energetic person.  When we are overworked, our energy lacks and therefore effects our creativity and work flow.  In this fast-paced world, hard work has become something that is now misunderstood.  Life balance is absolutely critical, in my opinion, to success.  A balanced life means that we are not devoting too much time to any one thing, including work.  We must include time for rest, relaxation, rejuvenation and fun! 

covey time.jpgThe missing piece to marketing, then, I believe is life balance! That may sound a bit kooky, but I have found myself recently, especially as our business has begun to explode, having a severely broken life-balance.  I've been working way too much and it has interrupted many of the things in my life that help me relax, rest and rejuvenate.  I gain pleasure from being with my family and friends.  I receive energy and rejuvenation from working out and doing my devotionals each day.  Work has gotten in the way of each of these things.  I finally realized it and have started putting actions into place to ensure that my life regains that lost balance.  I realized that my life was out of balance when my work started feeling out of order. My calendar was out of control, I was rushing from one appointment to the next, working at home at night and on the weekends, working from my Outlook inbox which felt like I was just working within Stephen Covey's Urgent/Important sector, and simply  having an overall feeling of disorganization.  I am not an unorganized person.  But when I have to work in the Urgent & Important area I do not feel effective.  So, when a client comes to me with a need for a marketing campaign, I need to feel relaxed, open and able to listen without distractions.  When I can do that then I can be wildly creative!  Thus, again, the missing piece to effective marketing is a balanced life that comes from proper amounts of work, play, sleep, etc.  

So, with that, this last post for me for 2014 - I am here so say goodbye to this year and hello to a brand, new and highly effective balanced 2015!  This will post today, December 18th and I leave tomorrow, December 19th with my husband and son to embark upon an amazing, lovely, restful and relaxing Disney Christmas Cruise!  I'm going to spend time enjoying life to the fullest with my amazing family so that the first week of January I will hit the ground running while fully refreshed and relaxed.  I'll be open to listening and developing creative, effective marketing strategies, ideas and campaigns to help my clients!  I wish you, your family and your business a very Merry Christmas and amazing 2015! 

missing piece.jpeg
Thanks for reading!

Kim Walker
5 Stones Media
Constant Contact Area Local Expert
Solution Provider
Member of Solution Provider Advisory Council