cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonight (8/23) from 11:00 PM - 12:00AM ET we need to make a few updates to our site. During this time, no emails will be sent and some customers will not be able to access their contacts. We recommend finishing up your work before 11:00 PM and logging in after 12:00 AM ET. Thank you for your patience while we make these updates.

OneDrive vs OneDrive for Business… What's the Difference?

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

OneDrive vs OneDrive for Business… What's the Difference?

OD vs O4B241x154.png

If you don't know already, there are 2 OneDrives: OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Don't know why but like Skype and Skype for Business and Office and Office 365, Microsoft seems to love to keep up on our toes. Previously I wrote about the difference of Skype vs Skype for Business and Office vs Office 365 (check those articles out if you are wondering) and now it is OneDrive's turn.

The Main Difference

The main difference is where you log in. OneDrive is tied to your Microsoft (previously known as Live) account and OneDrive for Business (or as I and many Microsoft people and partners call it O4 is ties to an Office 365 Business, not Home, subscription. That Office 365 Business subscription could be one that includes email, Skype for Business, SharePoint, the Office Webapps, and, possibly, Office Pro Plus or you can get one that is only OneDrive for Business and the Office Webapps.

Main Login Screen for OneDrive for Business via Office 365 (portal.office.om)

O365Login.png

Main login for OneDrive via MSN (msn.com)

ODLogin.png

Also, For both You Can Use onedrive.live.com

OD LiveSite.png

Other Differences - Seeing is Believing

Another difference you can see is the way it looks when you login. This may not be forever but this is how both look at the point in time. Microsoft loves changing stuff based on user feedback and their own hunches on what they think would be helpful (at least, until the user base starts screaming anyway).

OneDrive Look and Feel

OD LookandFeel.png

OneDrive for Business Look and Feel

O4B LookandFeel.png

Also, the sync clients for each are 2 different colors like the Skype and Skype for Business logo "S". The blue represents OneDrive for Business and the white represents OneDrive.

OD and O4B Clouds.png

Other Differences - The Difference You Can Feel

When I say, you can feel the difference, I mean in your wallet and through the amount of storage you get. The first slot of the picture shows you the OneDrive plans available as they go up in price and storage space.

Od and O4B plan compare.png

In the second slot of that same picture above, you can see that you can also get OneDrive as part of an Office 365 Home or Office 365 Personal subscription as seen in the picture below.

O365Home and Personal.png

See the whole chart here: https://products.office.com/en-US/buy/office?legRedir=true&CorrelationId=b9c63379-1310-4713-9913-7ec...

For OneDrive for Business, you can get it standalone…

O4B Standalone.png

See the whole chart here: https://products.office.com/en-US/onedrive-for-business/compare-onedrive-for-business-plans

Or part of an Office 365 Business subscription in a variety of flavors such as Small Business…

O365SmallBiz.png

See the whole chart here: https://products.office.com/en-US/onedrive-for-business/compare-onedrive-for-business-plans?tab=omac

And Enterprise.

O365Enterprise.png

See the whole chart here: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-more-office-365-for-business-plans

Some Differences - Not So Obvious

Since OneDrive is the consumer version, it also connects to Xbox while OneDrive for Business, being the business version, has versioning management, built in standards compliance, SSO/ADFS/Directory sync support, audit and reporting capabilities, and advanced administrative control such as the ability to add retention policies and more.

And Never the Two Shall Meet

Ok, I admit it: Never is a strong word but, currently, there is no way to login into one from the other. They are separated and I think they will always be separated. It makes sense if you really think about it. I mean, you really wouldn't your personal stuff mingling with the business stuff that your organization's leadership (if you are not the leadership) can potentially have access to. Am I right?

So how do I decide? As with other things (ready for the consultant answer?), it depends. Depends on your needs and your wallet (and what you can safely get away with). I always strongly advise, in the case of OneDrive, that is you have a business, get a business plan. If you are leadership, you will want those controls in place just in case you need to use them!

Hopefully this has helped to clear up confusion but, if you still need more help, we understand and are here to help. Reach out to us (service@cartemcgowanservices.com) and we will happily answer your questions. We can also work with you to bring other solutions like company portals, business intelligence, workflow automation, social media, and email marketing to your organization.

Peace and Blessings,
Nikkia T. Carter, MCPS, MS, CTT
CEO/Owner, Carter-McGowan Services, LLC
Free Monthly Business Technology Webinars/Q&A Sessions and Helpful Tips: http://ow.ly/yVSFM
Specializing in Technology All Organizations Need!
Microsoft Silver Small and Midmarket Cloud Solutions Partner | Certified Professional | SMB Champion
CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer | Authorized VAR (Microsoft, Constant Contact, BrainStorm, Hootsuite, BitTitan)

(866) 721-6085 Phone/Fax | (540) 693-0578 Local
service@cartermcgowanservices.com
Local, State, and Federal Registered Contractor | VA SWAM Certified