cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Updates to Facebook & LinkedIn

Honored Contributor

Privacy Updates to Facebook & LinkedIn

Today I have been made aware of some privacy issues with both Facebook and LinkedIn. I was originally just going to post about Facebook, but I realize many of you probably have LinkedIn accounts.

So let's start with LinkedIn.  Today, there were 6.5 million passwords hacked from LinkedIn. LinkedIn has posted that if you were affected by this, when you went to login, you'd be notified that your password was not valid.  Also, they would be emailing those affected.  Even though I did not receive an email nor a prompt when logging in, I did go change my password.

To change your password on LinkedIn, you want to login > hover over your name at the top right > select Settings.  Re-enter your current password to be brought to the Settings page.  Under your image on the left, click the Change next to Password.

Password Change for LinkedIn.JPGThen you will receive an overlay to change your password.  Change Password Overlay LinkedIn.JPG

Now onto Facebook! 

Facebook's advertising is using your photos to display on your friends pages.  You should set this to display to no one.

To set this up, click on the down arrow next to your name when logged into Facebook.  Choose Account Settings.  On the left, click on Facebook Adverts.

This will show you 2 options: Edit third party advert settings and Edit social advert settings.  Click both of those links and change it from "Only my friends" to "No one" and click Save Changes.

I hope these updates help keep you a little more private on these Social Media sites!