Social Media for the Power of Good

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Social Media for the Power of Good

SocialForGood 640x320.jpg

Recently I was attending a newcomers’ picnic at our church, and was sparking up a conversation with someone I had just met. As it usually goes when meeting a new person, I was asking questions to learn more about her. She divulged that her job makes her privy to a lot of horrible details involved with child predators, and that she absolutely despises social media because of how she sees it used by evil people.

I braced myself and tried to prepare an answer if she asked me about what I do for a living. Do I avoid telling her that I help people understand and use social media, or do I use the opportunity to acknowledge that even though so many take to posting on social media with evil or hurtful intentions, or using it as a means to broadcast their angst and pains, there are also so many ways in which it can be used as a force of good?

As it turned out, I did not have to decide on a course of action because she didn’t ask me any questions (whew!). I do, however, want to elaborate with you on a few of the numerous ways that social media can be a Power of Good.

1. Post inspiring and uplifting quotes. Not only are these types of posts proven to get great engagement, they also give your brand a sense of caring and empowerment. Quotes should align with your mission, but also highlight the positive attributes your brand values.
  2. Give other businesses or organizations a “super job” shout-out. If you are impressed with a place of business or one of their employees, deliver a compliment inside of a social media post, then tag that business or use one of their designated hashtags so both they and their fans can enjoy the feel-good mojo.
  3. Help others gain social media traction. Two is better than one, and more is even better. If you spotlight an organization or cause on your social media platforms and describe what is so great about them, you can greatly increase social media reach for them. If you host a “share and care” day on your social media site, and invite your readers to share their links and encourage everyone participating to like and comment on each others’ pages, you are doing a whole lot of people a whole lot of good.
  4. Encourage an act of goodness and lead by example. For instance, designate a day as “random act of kindness day”. Write out inspirational phrases on sheets of paper, then travel around town and “plant” the papers in random places (sure to inspire many smiles). Encourage your readers to follow suit in their own towns.
  5. Host a donation campaign for a cause that is personally relatable to you. Tell your readers the story of how you’ve come to support this cause and why raising money, getting food donations, increasing volunteer numbers, etc. is so important to you. We all love a heartfelt story, especially when it ends in a sweet victory. Reaching your campaign goal is victorious and when your readers help you get there, they can share in your elation! (Note: Be sure to let them know exactly how their contributions helped and include pictures of the benefits if possible.)

Social media is a powerful tool and how it is used depends on the hands it falls into. Unfortunately, there will always be evil in the hearts of some that want to inflict harm with their social media posts. However, if the rest of us join together and make a united effort to use social media for The Power of Good, we can dim the darkness and increase the effervescent light of inspiration and joy. #SocialForGood #PassItOn

Cre8vely Yours,

April Signature SM.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April Keating, a military spouse entrepreneur and mom of two young boys, is the owner & founder of online marketing firm Cre8ve Content Co. April is an expert with Constant Contact products and holds a Master Certification as a Solution Partner. She also is a member of the Washington, DC metro area Constant Contact Authorized Local Experts team. Click here to subscribe to April's monthly Cre8ve Chronicles newsletter.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b538/assistbyapril/AprilSignatureSM_zps624e6615.png