Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surveys and raffles

SOLVED
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Surveys and raffles

Our NPO is considering hosting a short online survey announced  in our mailed end-of-year newsletter and adding a raffle for a gift card to try and increase participation/gather emails from those people for whom we only have mail addresses.  Does anyone have any tips or pitfalls we should look out for?  Any advice on whether we need some legal counsel on holding a small raffle like this - are disclaimers needed ? Any thoughts on where the gift card should come from?

Thanks so much.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Honored Contributor

Re: Surveys and raffles

Hi Alexandra!

I recently read an article through Mashable that was all about the legality of having Social Media Contests.  Even if you're not doing a Social Media Contest, I think the article would at least get you started in the proper direction.

Just a question, how are you going to get the email addresses from your direct mail newsletter recipients?  Are you going to direct them to a Join My Mailing List button on your website?  You may find that people give you their email address just to sign up for the raffle, so you want to be careful as to how you put them into your contacts as you don't want them to report you as Spam in the future.

Let me know! I'd be happy to help you out!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much for your answer.  It looks like if we keep it simple, we will be okay.  My plan is to ask people to join the mailing list to enter the raffle (and require nothing else.)  Of course,  there's nothing that will keep someone who joins just to be in the raffle from unsubscribing later,  but I'm okay with that.

Honored Contributor

Hi Alexandra,

You're welcome! Just to be on the safe side,  I would add the permission reminder to the top of all your emails so that people can unsubscribe at the top instead of hitting spam.  Most people don't like to scroll down to unsubscribe and will hit spam instead.

Hope you get lots of people who want to be on your list and not just included in the raffle! :smileyface: