cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomorrow morning (8/26) from 07:00 AM - 08:00 AM ET we need to make a few updates to our site. During this time, no emails will be sent and some customers will not be able to access their contacts. We recommend finishing up your work before 07:00 AM and logging in after 08:00 AM ET. Thank you for your patience while we make these updates.

The Dog That Didn't Bark

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

The Dog That Didn't Bark

A very common tool to see who is really interested in the message in newsletters to do an “Opens Only” analysis. Conceptually it is very simple. For the last 3-4 emails you have published make a list of just those subscribers who have opened 1 or more of the newsletters. Once this is done, start to analyze for common traits such as age, profession, location etc. If you do a mailing to this list, the Open Rate will definitely rise.

Conversely, generate a list of “Never Opens” That is to say, subscribers who have never opened any of your newsletters. Just take your entire list and remove the “Opens Only” subscribers. This is analogous to the “dog that didn’t bark” Well, why didn’t the dog bark?

I do not recommend throwing away these subscribers. Again analyze for trends and common traits. Also, you may try to re-engage them by making special offers or by asking if they want to be kept on your mailing list.   Interestingly enough, I have  a "Never Opens" list and send to them regularly.  There always are 2-3 % of those subscribers that do in fact open  my newsletters.

By separating your lists in this way, you will have a somewhat smaller list but they are the people who are interested in your product or service and are your best potential customers.

If you would like more information as to how to go about generating the Opens Only and/or Never Opened lists, just drop me a note. I’ll be glad to hear from you.

Joe Grillo

781-307-5258

jgrillo@jngassociates.com

Joseph Grillo
781-307-5258
jgrillo@jngassociates.com