Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is a Call to Action and Why Do It?

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

What Is a Call to Action and Why Do It?

What Is a Call to Action and Why Do I Need One

This is how Wikipedia defines a call to action in marketing:

…a call to action (CTA) is an instruction to the audience to provoke an immediate response, usually using an imperative verb such as "call now", "find out more" or "visit a store today".

A call to action is important.  Whenever I meet with a group of people or one of my clients I always stress the importance of using calls to action.  It does not matter what social media platform you are on; Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Email Marketing, YouTube, etc. always have a call to Calls to Action Icon.jpgaction in your marketing piece.  It can be in the middle or at the end, but always tell the audience what you want them to do.  You will elicit more responses from your audience when you’ve presented at call to action.

I get frustrated when I read a well written marketing piece only to finish up with a bland, nothing more to do, ending.  I feel like there should have been something more, but there wasn’t.  The writer did not tell me what to do next so I go on with my life.  Keep your audience engaged.  Ask them to do something, even if it feels strange to ask.  

If it seems strange that you should ask the reader to do something, you’re not alone.  Most of us don’t like “asking,” but it’s how you get the sale or the follow on engagement.  Be bold and do a call to action! To be a successful marketer you need to think like your audience, not like the business person you are.  Put yourself in their shoes.  They are more than likely thinking “that was great, now what?”  Telling the reader what you want them to do is not a hard task, but be clear about what you want your audience to do.  Here are a few examples of calls to action:

1. Call usCall_to_Action_Icon II.png
  2. Drop by
  3. Send us an email
  4. Set up an appointment
  5. Leave a comment
  6. Sign up now
  7. Join our mailing list

You’ve spent time creating the article or marketing piece, now it’s time to get your readers to MOVE.  Decide BEFORE you write the piece what you want your readers to do.  Have them do something, even if it’s no more than “come back tomorrow.”  

Please leave a comment below and let us know what you thought about our article.  Have you tried Email Marketing?  If not, let's give it a try.  Constant Contact offers a 60-Day Practice Account for you to "learn the ropes."

Mike Bitter
Affordable Social Media, Inc.
(402) 216-8126