cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Good Writers Never Charge by the Word

Highlighted
Contributing Solution Provider

Why Good Writers Never Charge by the Word

Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis once said, "There is no great writing, only great rewriting." Anyone can sit down at a computer and haphazardly type, but good writing is a process. It requires planning, thoughtful creation, and multiple revisions. As Dennis Roth said, "If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought."

Good writing is worth the investment because well-chosen words are immensely powerful. Need proof? Watch this two-minute video clip and witness how the re-writing of just a few words completely changes the story's outcome.

Power of Words for blog.jpg

To your success,

Signature

Maureen Dudley enjoys writing, ballroom dancing, and jazz music. A travel aficionado, she has zip-lined in Mexico, explored an Egyptian pyramid by flashlight, and slept in a 12th-century Austrian castle. Her company, Dudley & Nunez Communications, specializes in helping clients nationwide with Constant Contact. Her monthly small business newsletter, Maureen’s Marketing Moment, is read worldwide. She can be reached at (916) 759-6977 or maureen@dudleyandnunez.com. 

Maureen Dudley
Dudley & Nunez Communications
Master Certified Solution Provider
5 REPLIES 5
Honored Contributor

Re: Why Good Writers Never Charge by the Word

Remarkable video Maureen! I'm sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes!!!  It's amazing the power of words!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Marissa--I'm glad you like it. I never get tired of watching that video. It's short, has a great message, and was produced very well.

Thanks for commenting.

Maureen Dudley
Trusted Contributor

I am such a sap. Thanks for making me think about today and what we write just a little bit differently.

Rosalind Morville
CTCT Employee

And THAT is the power of stories -- the words we choose tell a particular story, and the challenge is to find the right story for the audience.  I think the video got it a bit wrong -- she didn't write "the same with different words" -- she wrote something very different.  She wrote a very different story for passersby to read and respond to.  The objective was the same, the approach was not.

(Love this video, and have had it in my favorites for a while now -- thanks, Maureen, for bringing it back to the forefront.)

Dennis,

Thanks for your comments and fresh perspective. I agree that it is all about tailoring your message to your target audience. Thanks for sharing.

Maureen Dudley