cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Why email works better than social media!

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Why email works better than social media!

Last month I created a poll (on constant Contact of course) to ask my community about a new business service I was thinking of creating. I was very excited about the idea I had and eager to get feedback on whether others thought is was a good idea.  

Facebook Poll.png

I posted the link to the poll on my Facebook Profile and Page, my LinkedIn Profile, Twitter and many Facebook groups that I am in.  Most of the groups were networking groups that are created to support each other and give feedback.  Then I waited and waited for the answers to start piling up.  I just knew that social media was going to be the place where I had my fellow entrepreneurs to give me feedback on whether my new idea was viable.  I got responses from 4 people and I am pretty sure one of those was my Dad since the response about what I should charge was the highest selection. 

Then I wised up.  I sent it to my email list.  And not my entire email list.  I have a segment that has opted in to hear from me anytime I have something to share (I have another segment for some who only want my once a month marketing moments.) I didn't have to wait long for the responses.  The number of people answering the poll quickly rose not only to the number of responses I was anticipating but almost double that.  

Think of this as a knock on the side of the head moment.  I know email gets the best response. I know that while social media is important the reach that posts are getting is minimized. My email to my community got a phenomenal open & click through rate because people on that list were interested in the new business idea and in giving me their opinion.  Email is reliable and will get a better response.  Combine it with social media but expect your emails to help you more. 

Do you need to get the word out about a new idea, service or question?  Remember that the deliverability of email can't be beaten.  I now have a personal story to back up all of the other research I see about email.  

Ellen McDowell
Ellen McDowell - Your Social Butterfly
Master Certified Solution Provider
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why email works better than social media!

Agreed. Each assumes a basic part. We have found with our business sector that email is the thing that brings the deal to a close. Twitter and Facebook stand out enough to be noticed and make the association. Email motivates them to act. This can vary from business model to business model, yet in a boisterous advanced world, it regularly takes direct associations with assembling deals.

Ajit Khodke,

ESDS - Microsoft Dynamics ERP Partner

Ajit khodke
Participating Solution Provider

Re: Why email works better than social media!

Thanks, Ajit - I appreciate how you worded that comment.   Ellen

Ellen McDowell
Ellen McDowell - Your Social Butterfly
Master Certified Solution Provider