cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Why email works better than social media!

Participating Solution Provider

Why email works better than social media!

Last month I created a poll (on constant Contact of course) to ask my community about a new business service I was thinking of creating. I was very excited about the idea I had and eager to get feedback on whether others thought is was a good idea.  

Facebook Poll.png

I posted the link to the poll on my Facebook Profile and Page, my LinkedIn Profile, Twitter and many Facebook groups that I am in.  Most of the groups were networking groups that are created to support each other and give feedback.  Then I waited and waited for the answers to start piling up.  I just knew that social media was going to be the place where I had my fellow entrepreneurs to give me feedback on whether my new idea was viable.  I got responses from 4 people and I am pretty sure one of those was my Dad since the response about what I should charge was the highest selection. 

Then I wised up.  I sent it to my email list.  And not my entire email list.  I have a segment that has opted in to hear from me anytime I have something to share (I have another segment for some who only want my once a month marketing moments.) I didn't have to wait long for the responses.  The number of people answering the poll quickly rose not only to the number of responses I was anticipating but almost double that.  

Think of this as a knock on the side of the head moment.  I know email gets the best response. I know that while social media is important the reach that posts are getting is minimized. My email to my community got a phenomenal open & click through rate because people on that list were interested in the new business idea and in giving me their opinion.  Email is reliable and will get a better response.  Combine it with social media but expect your emails to help you more. 

Do you need to get the word out about a new idea, service or question?  Remember that the deliverability of email can't be beaten.  I now have a personal story to back up all of the other research I see about email.  

Ellen McDowell
Ellen McDowell - Your Social Butterfly
Master Certified Solution Provider
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Why email works better than social media!

Agreed. Each assumes a basic part. We have found with our business sector that email is the thing that brings the deal to a close. Twitter and Facebook stand out enough to be noticed and make the association. Email motivates them to act. This can vary from business model to business model, yet in a boisterous advanced world, it regularly takes direct associations with assembling deals.

Ajit Khodke,

ESDS - Microsoft Dynamics ERP Partner

Ajit khodke
Participating Solution Provider

Re: Why email works better than social media!

Thanks, Ajit - I appreciate how you worded that comment.   Ellen

Ellen McDowell
Ellen McDowell - Your Social Butterfly
Master Certified Solution Provider